Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

my pal's ears

felix stein

My buddy just played me some mixes he did on his apple using my mics he borrowed. He's one of my best friends btw. He had his own studio in LA and worked at cherokee and another one out there as well-he really downplays everything.

I'm showing him my new masterlink and played him a few of my mixes out of it that were pretty decent considering who they were done by. We really admire each other's work- it's not a competetive thing.

So my bro sticks in a cassette and plays me 3 mixes he's been working on. Sounded like they were done on 2"...he's just got it...totally awesome-ON A CASSETTE!

The dude's ears are awesome...couldn't believe what I was hearing.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bastard..... :)

You know, there's a lot that goes into this stuff though besides just good mics. what kind of pres was he using and compression/EQ? Also, how did he get the stuff into his Mac? what were the converters? Once in the computer, there's a lot you can do with tape emulation and all that. I'm not knocking any natural talent he has, I'm just curious.

Just for the record.

Damn.......there goes that shell game again.

Hey Felix, sometimes simple is better, and practice makes perfect. He seems to be a humble kinda guy. He's the kind of guy making straight A's in school and takes the time to thank you for helping him get there. :D

Here's a guy putting mixes on a Mac, and I can't put a picture of my drums on the NET...................

s**t !!!!!!!!!!

It's nice to have buds..........and good friendships in life too.

Jazzman :cool:

That is what it's all about Jazzman.

Side, he uses an old Dynamix board from the 80's- which is about an equivalent to a soundcraft.

Basically that and good mics into a motu then an apple.

The funny thing is he used to do all 2" work and just can't believe what technology is up to.

He doesn't compress much he told me and usually uses some limiting. That's it!

Archived