Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

drum sound

jesse_cymoneyahoo.com

Is there a way to get real drums to sound like a drum machine?What I mean is that when you have a drum machine you can really push the kick up in the mix to really thump ,whereas it's my understanding that you can only take a live kick drum to a certain level. Ideally I'd like to use a live player but I want to have the thick kick sound ala rap,hip-hop,dance records. Is this possible, is it just a matter of miking or what?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you use a "real" kick mic(or even 2) and have good enough PA complete with a pair of dual 18" subs and adequate amplification you can achieve better kick sound with acoustic than triggers.IMHO The key is in your sound tech...gotta have a clue on mic placement, eq , compression/gating etc...

Acoustic is the way to go! :D

ian*

Compression and Gating is what's going to allow you to do this. With the right Ratio setting (high) on your compressor, you can get a tight kick drum sound. You can almost play at any volume and the kick drum will sound the same. Remember ... I said ALMOST.

I agree with Felix, the easiest way is to trigger a sample, using a trigger on your kick drum.

FYI ... it's tough to get a tight sound when you mic a kick drum AND blend it with the triggered sample. It can be done, but I wouldn't recommend trying it; it's not worth the trouble. Use the acoustic sound or the triggered sample when it comes to kick drum. Snare and toms are another story ... and are WAY easier to blend.

Good Luck!

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Archived