Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Snare drum advice

Passeist

I'm looking for a new snare drum and I was wondering if anyone could give me some hints re: materials, specific designs.

I'm looking for the opposite of my metal Ludwig snare. I want something with a relatively soft attack, low volume and little sustain. Somthing that would produce a warm sound that would let the rattling of the snares be heard clearly.

Any advice?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heh... :)

Yeah, wood... Hmmm... soft attack, low volume and little sustain.... I had to blink a few times at that phrase. A lot of what you're talking about can be affected by tuning, dampening and playing style. But I think I get what you're going for. Try a 5 1/2 inch or deeper maple snare like a Tama Artstar, or an old Ludwig or Gretch.

Just for the record.

Originally posted by Passeist:

I'm looking for a new snare drum and I was wondering if anyone could give me some hints re: materials, specific designs.

Any advice?

Just what is the "metal" in your "metal" snare? Yes I have some advice. Sidereal's point (I think?) is that lots can be done with tuning, muffling, etc. And if you look at the Drum Tuning Bible you'll see all of the virtues of the different materials and maybe some suggestions that will help without spending the money of a new snare. If you go to Drum Woods in Detail , you'll then understand a lot more about the woods and their properties.

Now, I can more than understand if you just want a new snare. Thats part of the fun, no complaint here.

But, do we have an issue of cost and budget? Do we recommend only products over $1000, or do we keep it under $200? Do you dislike a brand?

I can't seem to get my brass 5.5 or 6.5 as "tame" as my 6.5 birch...no matter what I do. Brass snares are just so much more powerful (at least my yamahas are) and have a lot more sustain than my birch. I love the sound of the metal but I have to play the drums so much softer for them to blend with the rest of my kit. I find that very irritating. I like playing dynamically but ideally I would like all the max volume levels of the drums similiar. And that is why my metals aren't my main snares right now. I don't like piccolo metal snares either, so that isn't an option.

Check out Professor Sound's page...it's awesome.

He play Yamaha's too "na na na-na na"

Professor Sound, I, the great felix stein, also have a manu katche 5.5 snare...but not the maple custom kit, I would like one, also the anton fig model as well (wish list)

I have a club custom kit- that went the way of the dodo, a very rare kit but I love it soooooooo much...sounds great and looks even better.

BANZAI!!!!!!

In response to Prof Sound;

I'm actually looking for a second snare. I really like my steel Ludwig but I'd like a softer, quieter drum for some situations.

Cheaper is always better, but I'm able to spend if I absolutely have to.

Brand name means nothing. I often find I prefer the sound of cheap stuff (except cymbals).

I'll be sure to check out the Drum Tuning Bible

Most of the guys here have heard me brag about an awesome snare that I have, and I'll do it again for you.

5.5 X 14" Yamaha Bamboo Snare Drum( can be had for $350 or so). This is a quality snare. It is rather warm, and has beautiful overtones. It works well in a rather wide rang of tuning, but i like it best when tuned right in the middle of its range. I use it for funk, rock, pop, blues, JAZZ, etc and it works well. I've never played the 6.5" version, but here it is also very nice(MD reviewed these a while back, they recommended the 5.5 over 6.5). My point is that this is a very VESATILE drum that is high QUALITY.

As for the sound, I agree with the other guys. It sounds like you need to try different tuning ,dampening techniques, head choices, and even snare wires.

IF you want a warmer tone, that will come from a different shell, so you would need a different drum. DEFINITELY buy a wood snare if you are going to buy anything, and try to avoid buying a snare that is the same depth as the metal one you already own. If you do this, you will have 2 drums that will easily lend themselves to a multitude of playing situations. Whatever your choice, enjoy it!

Originally posted by rlhubley:

5.5 X 14" Yamaha Bamboo Snare Drum( can be had for $350 or so). This is a quality snare. It is rather warm, and has beautiful overtones. It works well in a rather wide rang of tuning, but i like it best when tuned right in the middle of its range. I use it for funk, rock, pop, blues, JAZZ, etc and it works well. I've never played the 6.5" version, but here it is also very nice(MD reviewed these a while back, they recommended the 5.5 over 6.5). My point is that this is a very VESATILE drum that is high QUALITY.

Peter Erskine swears by the Yamaha Bamboo snare. I had a gig up here with him in the Spring and Yamaha sent him the Bamboo snare. His words, "man, this is the only drum I've ever played that you can just pull it right out of the box and it sounds great." He made a few minor tweaks and away he went. He really loves that drum and used the word VERSATILE quite often.

Now I want one!

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Bart,

Look around your local shops, or whomever you usually do business with. I picked mine up a year and a half ago for $350, I would imagine you could find it for about that same price. With all of the studio work you do, I imagine it would be worth every penny.

Peter was one of the first guys to use it. I've also seen John Robinson say nice things about it(although he is really more excited with his "nail" drum), Russ Miller is using one almost exclusively.

For those of you who haven't seen this drum, click on the following link

http://yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi.exe/DsplyModel/?gSDM00006BMSD1455

Originally posted by rlhubley:

You are sorely mistaken my friend! This drum is beautiful.

THIS, would be an example of an ugley drum :D

http://www.peavey.com/mi/501_colors.html

I saw some beautiful drums the other day. A friend of mine has an Ayotte with natural finish wood hoops. They were gorgeous. He also has a nickel over brass 1930s WFL snare drum that's, IMO, butt ugly, but sounds great.

Hey...

I'm not a drummer, but the guy who plays drums w/me has a Peavey set, and I think it looks cool. It also sounds amazing.

Whatever... To each his own.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Originally posted by Passeist:

I often find I prefer the sound of cheap stuff (except cymbals).

Well, I'll suggest 2 or 3 to check out. One mans cheap is anothers expensive.

Yamaha Steve Gadd Maple 5x14. Excellent construction, unique in that it comes with a 10 strand snare unit, which makes the drum sound nice and warm, not at all over powering.

Yamaha Akira Jimbo model using a 8-ply beech shell in a unique 13 x 7, which has the wood hoops w/onl;y 6 holes, gives a softer feel and nice depth. I have the Figg model and I think it is without a doubt one of the most versatile drums on the market.

Omar Hakim Pearl 5x13 African Mahogany 6ply 7.5mm. Very warm with nice depth, unique sound.

Tama Artwood 5.5x14, Maple, I thought was a nice and not too expensive of a drum.

Starclassic 5.5x13, very warm, nice finishes.

If you can find a Pearl J.R. Robinson 4x14 snare, these are great. They still make one in a 4x14, but it doesn't have the cast hoops. This was one of the best deals out there until he jumped to Yamaha.

And then don't rule out a Pearl Free Float Maple. While I think they have one of the cheesiest throw offs on the markt, the drum sound is a little softer than most due to the metal undercarrige. You really can't change the shells too often without them stripping out the lugs and stuff, but you can change them. Although the cost of the alternate shell is almost the cost of the drum.

That's enough to think of. If I had to pick just 2 for you, I'd say go hear the Gadd and Omar.

Originally posted by Prof.Sound:

Omar Hakim Pearl 5x13 African Mahogany 6ply 7.5mm. Very warm with nice depth, unique sound.

I like that drum a lot. It is extremely versatile, especially when you give the lugs a good crank.

Originally posted by Gaddabout:

I like that drum a lot. It is extremely versatile, especially when you give the lugs a good crank.

Yeah, I was going to use my Omar Hakim snare (secondary snare) on a two tunes for the Dallas Christmas Festival. I'm in the pit and already have my DW as my primary for Acts 1 & 2, then switch to my Pearl Professional on Act 3. I've also got my old WFL Field Drum with me for Act 3 ... so there's no room (or enough mics) to use the Omar Hakim snare! http://baeproductions.net/images/emoticons/angry.gif

It is a very cool snare. I've not got to work with it much ... and I have it cranked right now. What a great snare!

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

I checked out the bamboo snare the other day and yes, it is ugly, and yes, it is the sound I'm after. Cheap too. I'll have to check out some of the other suggestions before deciding. I can afford a good snare. I can't afford a collection of them.

Archived