Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dancing and drumming

Gaddabout

Has anyone ever studied dance to improve their drumming? I've been watching some Omar Hakim videos, and he's so dang fluid, it looks like ballet. I know Steve Gadd credits tap dancing lessons as a child for developing his nimble feet. Anyone ever tried it? If I were to try something like this, what would I study, and where?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm definitly not a dancer but my feet never stop tapping (unless I become aware of it in a social situation ;) ).

I like to watch/listen to tap dancers a lot...good ones always lay some great grooves and pick clever accents. Gregory Hines was jammin in that movie "White Nights"

I have no idea what dance you should study or where but if it takes time away from practicing/playing drums then it can't be all that good for your drumming. Right?

My whole body moves when I play any instrument, especially my legs and feet...I look pretty funny actually. I don't really know but I can't imagine learning real dance moves would help my playing/groove.

Seems kinda far-fetched but what do I know?

I dance *while* I play the drums. It's why I have such poor foot technique. My teacher hated the fact that I had this bad habit, but it was one I didn't want to break. It's fun and I still groove. :) Besides, I can't help myself.

[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: sidereal ]

Just for the record.

I've studied various kinds of dance ... although I don't claim to be any good at dancing. My wife and I have gone swing dancing from time to time which is fun.

To me, singing, dancing and playing music is all the same; I don't differentiate from the three.

When my 18 month old song here's a groove or music, it IMMEDIATELY starts to dance. He's even got the Elvis Pelvis going sometimes! LOL :D Very cute to see I must say. LOL He's been dancing around since he was able to stand. It's very interesting how babies naturally want to dance and move to music ... even though they've NEVER seen anyone do it before. Actually it's down right incredible.

Music is movement; movement is music. Drumming is so much like dancing ... it's hard to not think of it as such.

If you don't dance, I definitely think it would enhance your playing and broaden your musical prowess.

Oh, and by the way, I'm not talking about dancing around like some nerdy white guy. LOL

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Couple of points..

1. You should remember how dance and drumming is historically connected. Originally, most(if not all) drumming was done while dancers danced. Check out all of your ethnic drumming history, specically West African. So, on that note, dancing might help you "hear" drumming from a different angle, and therfore help in how you play.

2. I don't think an adult learning to dance after he/she already knows how to drum will help with the drumming in terms of technique. Gadd had that flowing footwork before he ever sat behind the kit, so that 'flow' probably just translated over. I don't think it would be the same in your case.

Originally posted by rlhubley:

1. You should remember how dance and drumming is historically connected. Originally, most(if not all) drumming was done while dancers danced. Check out all of your ethnic drumming history, specically West African. So, on that note, dancing might help you "hear" drumming from a different angle, and therfore help in how you play

This is an interesting angle to my question. Do you know of any books on the topic?

Archived