Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Questions......PLEASE ANSWER

jscoin

i am just going to get all of my question out......

i have a pearl omar hakim snare (5 x 13) and i want it to sound like a (6.5 x 14) any suggestions on heads to put on it??????

i have the akg mirophone package (2 snare/tom, 2tom/kick) and the screws on the mic...like the connector part to the stand keeps on coming undone....i do not hit the mic and the mic is mounted on the rim, what do i do????

drum heads/tuning.......how can i get my bass drum to sound like lars ulrich on the black album....what heads should i use for my toms i like the deep but not to resonate, i was thinking remo dot's on the top.....

okay

thanks

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey bro, I just recently got the same exact snare drum. I haven't had time to work out different drumhead combinations, but I'll keep you posted. I can tell you that it will be something made by Aquarian though! ;) LOL

I must say that I think you've got your work cut out for you. Making a small drum sound bigger is a huge undertaking. Taking a large drum and making it sound smaller seems to be an easier task ... at least to me anyway.

I'm sure my answer will be something like this:

•  
  • Use and looser than normal tuning on the batter and snare heads.
  • Using a two ply head may assist in simulating a larger shell size. I would recommend trying the Double Thin by Aquarian with the texture coating. I'm not normally a fan of two-ply heads on snare drums, but the Double Thin has two very thin plys of mylar, so that will be your best bet in that regards.
  • Use a heavier stick or the butt of your current stick. This will help to move more air in the drum and give a fuller sound.
  • In all due respect, stop trying to make a drum sound like something it's not. There's nothing wrong with getting new and cool sounds out of a drum, but if you really need a 6.5x14 snare sound ... GET A 6.5x14 SNARE DRUM!!!

I'm sure some other people will have some great suggestions for you as well as other drumhead recommendations based on what they like.

Good Luck!

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Looks like you need to invent a better connector for the mics.LOL I have a thread for new inventions, HAHA.

Kidding aside........Maybe a lock washer, or double nuts on the connector?? My mics are not attached to the drums for that reason. I use mic stands instead. AH, can you attach the mic connector to the hi-hat stand or the drum stand below and use a longer snake to get the mic to the snare top?

Bart's answer seems excellent regarding the heads, and he is right about making a smaller drum sound large. You might try using a trigger on the drum that can activate another sound out of a sound module. Opps another thing on the drum :eek:

I hope this helps a little.......Peace.....

Jazzman :cool:

[ 11-25-2001: Message edited by: Jazzman ]

EQ did a profile on the producer for the black album about 2-3 years ago. I remember, in fact, I'm sure I have the issue.

Well, you are going to have to be mic'd to get that sound and I believed he built a tunnel sort of deal over the front head of the kick...either way, bump the 12K on the eq to get the "sticky" sound you are looking for and sweep your mids with a cut...you will have to figure out your Q size and db cut.

Maybe I will look for that article for you.

ciao

Hey, JS:

May I make another suggestion ... (and preface this suggestion by stating that in NO WAY am I being critical or taking a jab at ya), but if you want a 6.5 X 14 drum sound ... why not get a 6.5 X 14 drum?

I consider the 6.5 X 14 to be a meats and potatoes staple of the drummers arsenal.

The Hakim snare should be another staple drum, but falls slightly to the specialty snare range of products.

The bad thing for drummers (as compared to most other instruments that one can play), is the diversity of product either available or necessary to achieve the sounds folks are looking for in a drummer today.

I would consider the investment worthwhile for a 6.5.

DJ

Archived