Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DRUMM SHELLS!!!!!!! and something else!!!!!!!

jscoin

can somebody please explain the difference in drum plies please.......

i have a beginner set

and i am just wondering, should i (i have been playing for 2 years and i am in 2 bands now, and i am starting to have more gigs)???

a. by a mid-pro set (not a begginer and not a pro set)

b. save up for a pro set\

thanks...

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know exactly what it is that you are wanting to know in regards to the plies on a drum shell. I'll keep it simple and just tell you the basics as it pertains to wood shells.

Unless you have a shell that is made from a solid piece of wood, your drum will be comprised of a number of plies (layers) of wood. The greater number of plies, the stronger the drum will be ... typically. The fewer number of plies used creates a deeper sound in the drum because the shell is able to vibrate more freely; typically. By freely I mean that the wave length of the shell vibrations are greater ... which is where the low end frequencies are. The more plies you have, the less the shell can produce low frequencies.

You also may want to take into account our recent thread; Physics of Sound. Here it has been discussed that the drumhead actually determines over 50% of the sound from a drum. Not scientific fact (yet), but a well thought out premise

Older (and many vintage) drums typically have very few plys.

You also get into different thickness of ply which also affects the sound. Having fewer plies (like 4) that are thick may not be much different than twice as many thin plies (like 8). You've got to use your eyes AND you ears to come up with what sound you like best.

Remember, God made trees (which is where wood comes from), and each one is unique. It's impossible to attach hard fast rules regarding wood properties. Yes, there are general, fairly consistent properties with different types of woods, but look at how different a pair of drumsticks can be ... even though they may be the same brand, model, etc. Density and weight is the fluctuating factor in all of this.

Much of this is just my opinion and experience. Checking with someone like John Aldridge at Not So Modern Drummer as well as Precision Drum Company would be wise.

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

I don't blame you for being confused.

I've played drums since 1968, and still don't understand why drum companies tell us how many plies the shell has, but not how thick the shell is, or even (sometimes) what wood the shell is made from! Both of these issues are far more important (to my ear) than is the number of plies!

Anyway, let me try to give you some practical advice.

The trick is to try and get the best drums you can for the amount you can spend. The good news is that good semi-pro kits are available for as little as $700!

If you can spend in the neighborhood of $700 to about $1200 total for your new kit, here are some good choices, ranked in the order of my prereferences (which also reflects the more expensive kits as best choices). Keep in mind, that these are drums which I have seen, played, and listened to, and that I have no doubt left out some great kits - these simply reflect my opinions and experience!

Prices are based on current pricing of Interstate Music on 5 piece standard kit w/hardware.

$700-$850 range -

Best - Yamaha Stage Custom Standard - great looking and sounding drums for the bucks!

Next - Tama Rockstar - about as good as Stage Customs, but with a suspension tom mount that increases resonance and volume.

Pearl Export - good hardware, but I hear better sounds from the other two kits - but, least expensive of the 3!

$850-1000 range -

The best buy I've seen here is the closeout of Pacific's "old" (2000 models) L series kits by Musician's Friend ( www.musiciansfriend.com ) at $999 for a 5-piece kit of 100% maple drums, with hardware. These are truly pro-quality in sound and construction for a semi-pro price.

If you can't buy off the 'Net or catalog, then the Stage Custom Advantage, Pearl Export Select, and Tama Rockstar Deluxe lines also fit into this price range - of these, I'd recommend the Rockstar Deluxe. I teach at a local store which has a kit in the amber finish, and I can tell you these drums look and sound very expensive!

For true, pro-quality drums (excepting a close out as on the Pacific's), you're going to spend at least $1200-1500, and can spend a lot more.

Here your good choices would include :

Ludwig Classic Birch - USA made!

Pacific LX - 100% maple

Pearl Session Custom Select - 100% maple

Tama Starclassic Performer - 100% birch and with outstanding hardware and great finishes!

Generally, drums with "mixed-wood" shells, such as the less expensive ones listed here, are going to be a bit higher pitched, and may limit your options with regards to head selection and tuning (you may have to use 2-ply heads on top and tune them fairly low).

The birch and maple shelled drums will tend to have a lower tone, and will sound good with most any head combination.

I hope that I have helped you - feel free to e-mail me if you'd like more specific info.

Archived