Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Liberty DeVitto's Profound Clinic Comments (IMHO)

djarrett

I wanted to comment on Liberty DeVitto's Clinic at PASIC last week.

Yes, as Bart mentioned, Liberty did "beat the hell" out of the drums and I loved it!

Liberty said some things that really got me thinking. He started out his clinic by stating that when his drum company asked him to consider doing clinics, that he went to a clinic himself to determine his worthiness for this task. As he comically explained, ... the clinician sat behind the kit and virtually blistered the drums while barely moving his arms. He was chop-city.

Liberty called the drum company back and said: " if that is what you are looking for , ... you do not want me!"

The company said that they still wanted him for clinics.

His point He just plays the drums to back the band. No fancy stuff here, ... just a great steady, driving drummer.

28 years with the same band (Billy Joel), numerous Grammys, first western drummer to play a major concert behind the (then) Iron Curtain in Russia, etc, etc.

His clinic, ... playing to tracks minus drums of all the great Billy Joel hits. I dug it.

For most of us, the goal is to do exactly what Liberty does with his drumming. Sometimes we get stuck on the details of how technically proficient we are, and lose sight of the real reason we play to make great music!

Imagine the thrill that runs through Liberty every time he hears the great drumming on Allentown or Big Shot.

A classic drummer for a classic band. A great icon.

Thoughts?

DJ

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why don't Liberty try to break away from the same Billy Joel thing? Joel really doesn't do any of the things he did before. Instead of living in Joel's name, he should break away from that and do something different. I know the money is probably there but you would think he would be bored with the same type of playing by now. Most good drummers would try other type of things. Can he or did he?

Originally posted by vinnie c.:

Why don't Liberty try to break away from the same Billy Joel thing? Joel really doesn't do any of the things he did before. Instead of living in Joel's name, he should break away from that and do something different. I know the money is probably there but you would think he would be bored with the same type of playing by now. Most good drummers would try other type of things. Can he or did he?

You know that's a good point. I don't know what he's up to these days; anyone have any ideas?

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Originally posted by felix stein:

He's doing a clinic here in Cleveland real soon...the drum shop is shmoozing me to be there. I should go.

Please do go Felix. Talk to Liberty and find out what he's up to these days! He's a great guy, I'm sure you would enjoy the clinic.

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Hey, Bart:

Yes, I knew you did not mean that negatively.

I was merely reinforcing your statement.

Billy Joel and Elton are scheduled for a continuation of their very successful tour in 2002. I think this one is to take them all over the world. I wouldn't trade that gig for anything if I were in Liberty's shoes.

It is hard to find anyone that has stayed in the same place for 28 years. I admire not only Liberty's loyalty to Joel, but also Joel's loyalty to Liberty. That bond must be tight, and I do not think you can find that in many places.

Just my thoughts,

DJ

Archived