Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

PASIC 2001 - GREAT SHOW

djarrett

Dispite being plagued with yet another kidney stone, I was able to check out much of PASIC this weekend.

Unfortunately, I missed Terry Bozzio and Wackerman. Bart Elliott caught them and said the highlight of the clinic was the two of them playing ... THE BLACK PAGE!

Some of the best parts of the show were a last minute stand-in clinician ... Greg Bissonette.

Chester Thompson and percussionist, Glen Caruba did a killer show together.

The Cavaliers Pit Percussion crew did a killer clinic.

One of the best was just watching Liberty DeVito play to tracks of Billy Joel. Being the drummer for the same band for 28 years says much for his ability to drive that band.

Another pleasure for me ... was meeting and enjoying a lunch with Bart Elliott! What a gentleman. Talk about enthusiasm for drumming! Thanks for the lunch Bart.

Great show!

DJ

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, lot's of great things to talk about from the convention. One of the highlights for me was getting to hang with DJ; what a great guy! Thanks for all your insight DJ; I really enjoyed our visit.

A few other highlights for me (other than what DJ already mentioned) was Rick Marotta and his YAMAHA Hip Gig kit. Rick as accompanied by Will Lee on bass (Letterman Show, and more), as well as Ross Bolton on guitar (Al Jarreau). These guys just grooved for their entire session; playing several Steeley Dan tunes and standards like Herbie Hancock's "Cantalope Island". Talk about a pocket ... Rick was their the entire time. If you've never heard this guys back-beat ... it's a MUST SEE & HEAR!!! Oh, and yes, it was the Will Lee show; the guy was a clown and constantly cutting up. It was fun.

I missed Greg Bissonette; would have loved to see (hear) him. As DJ said, it was a last minute change; he wasn't scheduled to perform but came in as a sub for Brady & Brian Blade.

Akira Jimbo was a freaking amazing :eek: ... and the most entertaining performer at the convention. You need to check this guy out the next time he's in town giving a clinic. He performed numerous tunes such as "Take Five" (in four), "Mission Impossible" and "A Night In Tunisia", just to name a few ... BY HIMSELF!!! No accompaniment tracks, loops, etc., it was all drums with triggers & pads. He played melody lines as well as the accompaniment parts. My face hurt after this clinic because I was smiling the whole time!

Mike Mangini was great. To say this guy has fast hands and feet is an understatement. Lot's of great polyrhythms going on ... very musical. Definitely hear the Bozzio influences. I enjoyed the clinic a lot ... although it was a bit loud. Mike teaches at Berklee now.

Speaking of loud, Kenny Aronoff spent his entire clinic playing to Heavy Metal tracks (from several recent projects) which got old fast. And I thought Liberty DeVitto beat the hell out of the drums! I love Kenny's playing and musicianship; he's definitely bringing a "high standard" to this type of music. He finished his clinic by playing to a Buddy Rich tune (sorry can't remember which one) ... which was too little too late for me. I wish he had played more styles rather than just the Metal stuff.

As DJ mentioned, Glen Caruba & Chester Thompson were fun to listen to. The topic was Drums & Percussion in a Pop setting ... but it was just more of a jam than anything else. Very musical; both guys really listening to each other. I wish they had discussed how they work together; a lot of people need to know these things. Example is good, but not everyone can catch the concepts.

Paul Leim (Nashville Session Great) gave a wonderful clinic. For me, it was the perfect balance between the playing and discussion in a clinic setting. He talked about some of his concepts in the studio, plus working with loops with lot's of demonstration. He closed the masterclass with a compilation of Hits that he had played on over the last 30 years. It was amazing to hear and reflect how this great drummer had been involved with some many great songs ... ALL STYLES!!!

Besides getting to hang with DJ for awhile, I was able to visit with Dom Famularo, Peter Erskine, Tom Roady, Paul Leim, and Jim Chapin, as well as a few of my other drumming buddies. Chapin was his usual self, hanging out at the DW booth with a glean in his eye as he shows the Moeller Method to every passer-by. We chatted after the Bozzio/Wackerman clinic, which he attended. He shared lots of stories (as usual) from all his life experiences. Despite that I felt like a hitching post (Chapin was leaning on me all the time), I really do enjoy hearing what he has to say. Not that I agree with everything, but that he has lived a full life and we all have much to gain from his wisdom. I don't know how much longer he's going to be with us, so check him out when you get the chance.

Well, I'll stop for now. Hope that more of you got to attend PASIC this year. If you did or didn't, regardless, I'd love to talk more about it.

I even saw and heard Art Verdi at the ProMark booth ... LOL ;) We can certainly talk about him too!

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Originally posted by Bartman:

visit with Dom Famularo, Peter Erskine, Tom Roady, Paul Leim, and Jim Chapin, as well as a few of my other drumming buddies.

So now we know -- Bart's a name-dropper. =) Thanks for this great report, guys. I barely caught PASIC when it was in my own town a couple years ago. I hope it returns, but I doubt it, because it was like 250 degrees outside the whole time they were here. However, I did get to see Steve Gadd (!!) and spoke to him for the first time. He's another nice guy. Most drummers like to share don't they? I wonder if the community is so tight among other musicians. Some how, I doubt it.

Originally posted by Gaddabout:

So now we know -- Bart's a name-dropper.

Guess I am ... sorry, I just wasn't thinking of it like that. Just wanted to share who I saw and got to talk to while at PASIC. I had a blast, although I need to wear more comfortable shoes next time.

I would have loved seeing the Black Page being played.

What do you say Bart? To tell you the truth I havn't worked on it yet. From what I've seen, it's not impossible-just tough. The odd grouping grooves with rests between the 4 limbs (from what I can remember of the transcription) were the patterns that would slow me down.

Time...well, back to the web page...LOVE THIS DSL!

Originally posted by Bartman:

Guess I am ... sorry, I just wasn't thinking of it like that. Just wanted to share who I saw and got to talk to while at PASIC. I had a blast, although I need to wear more comfortable shoes next time.

Hey Bart, hope my little jab was taken in the right light. You know what a person like me who points out stuff like that is? Jealous! If I spent the afternoon with Jim Chapin, you bet yer britches I'd be back here talking about it! Only I wouldn't be informative and all like you ... I'd just brag about it. =) Anyway, thanks for your post, and I hope I didn't step on any toes with my clumsy humor!

Bart, would you say that more drummers today are making a living indepently now, then ever? There are so many events that they don't need to be in a group. Between endorcements and clinics, that's a good living. I can't see where they would have the time. Example, Dennis Chambers.

I'm willing to talk more about it, but I don't know what to say really. I made my general comments, so unless someone wants me (or anyone else) to expand on a particular facet, I don't want to beat a dead horse.

The convention was excellent; there are positive and negative things that went on ... so there's plenty to talk about if you want.

A friend of mine was there and he told me that they chase you off the drums in 30 seconds. I spoke with him today. He told me one of his buddys was trying a snare drum that he dug and they wouldn't let him play it after 30 seconds. The guy had his watch out. Thats a real stupid drag. How do they except a guy to buy anything that way?

Well, what he didn't tell you is that EVERYONE in the exhibit hall is pounding away on drums ... 99% of which never intend to buy a thing. The exhibit hall is really there to EXHIBIT instruments; it's not the world's drum shop.I was in the hall a lot, and I couldn't hear someone speaking to me at just two feet away. It was like I was at a club ... in HELL!!!

So, PAS created the 30 second rule to keep people from just jamming forever and driving everyone nuts. I didn't see anyone enforcing it, but they continued to make the announcements over the PA. I would be willing to venture that your friend was abusing the privilege of getting try out the drum and so they decided to enforce the rule. The 30 second rule was there for everyone; some just chose not to enforce it.

My ears were ringing just for walking around in the hall.

Almost every major drum manufacture was NOT selling their drums. It was there for show only. They encouraged anyone actually interested in making a purchase to contact a dealer for the particular company. I don't think I saw one drumset being sold; only the small stuff and some hand drums ... and I was there till the last minute (and then some).

Just my perception. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
I was at a music store in Long Island with my friends, that went to the Pasic Convention, and this drummer over heard us talking about it and he told us that Art Verdi helped his left hand finger control a lot more than he thought. Art Verdi showed him how to move his left fingers without moving the wrist. He didn't think much of his advise until now.

Archived