Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Drum storage, best way?

Jazzman

If a person needed to store a set of drums for a year or two, what would be the best way so store them? Remove the heads, cover the drums and place bags of desicant inside the drum covers. Would the hard type drum covers be better for this than the soft type? Oil the wood inside the drums, leave dry?

Or just loosen the heads and forget about it.

What would you suggest.

Just curious..........

Jazzman :cool:

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, Jazzman:

The biggest storage problem you face is protection from moisture (first and foremost).

Make sure that the drums are in a good dry storage area.

Covering can be soft cases as long as the moisture issue has been solved.

The second problem is from corrosion on your chrome.

Make sure you wipe down all chrome and either wax or lightly oil the chrome. If you use oil (like a soft clothe with WD40 on it) ... MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT GET ANY OF THE OIL ON THE WOOD FINIISH!

I prefer the wax option.

DJ

I totally agree with DJ.

KEEP THOSE BABIES DRY!!!

If you can store them in a controlled climate it will help as well. You also don't want varmints chewing on anything, so be mindful of that when you store them.

Question: Where are you going that you have to store your drums for this length of time?

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Hi Bart, not going anywhere, nor the drums. A friend of mine has several sets of drums and I was curious, and would like to make sure that he is doing it right. I agree with the both you. My friend has both hard and soft cases.

Oh, by the way, yesterday I went to Guitar Center and played on a V-Drum set for over two hrs, didn't want to leave! :D

I want them !!! I want THEM!!!!! Over 4 grand.

I was very surprised with the action of the set. Cymbals were very cool, 3 point triggers. If you hit the end of the cymbal you can mute them with the hand. Nice for studio work.

Real cool, not the same as the real set, but gives the variety of sound to play with, and for fill-ins.

Oh another thing, I saw that practice set that has the mesh heads, like that of the V-Drums, I didn't play on them, someone was on them. They put a mylar head on the other side. You need to just flip over the drum and wala, the real thing.

Thanks again dj and Bart for the info, I'll be talking to my friend about the suggestions soon.

Don't worry, this guy will be keeping his set HOT. :D Thanks for the concern.

Take care ............

Jazzman :cool:

Archived