Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Drum set inventions, anything new?

Jazzman

im in a breakbeat act thats mostly electronic driven but the precussion pieces we DO have have a super secret lighting secret that we secretly came up with in secret

its a secret

all i can say is powerful blue LEDs chained and a certain way of sensing a hit and triggering a light burst

works to GREAT affect, and being in time with the music... its fantastic!

less then secret... theres blue LEDs that pump the power out, and a few of them... oh yeah. as for the triggering, its not too hard to work out... but i bet youde come up with a far more complex way then we did :P

goes to show sometimes the simplest and silliest ideas are the best

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You young guys kill me (in a funny way!)

In the 20 and 30's lighted heads were standard.The purpose was two-fold. Primarily because the bass drum heads were the biggest stretch of calf skin ... and needed the head of the light to keep the heads tight. The result ... most drummers had murals painted on the front to show off with the illumination.

Most were of women with butterfly wings ... or dutch countryside scenes.

Some of you guys that are my age (late 30's) will remember the Ludwig Tivoli set. This was a Vistalite set (clear colored lucite shells) and the tivoli set had spirals of small "Christmas tree lights" in them. The entire set plugged into the wall! It was certainly a novelty!

DJ

"A light bulb inside a drum sounds like a really cool idea, but in the "old days" the light bulbs didn't have to deal with the John Bonhams and Keith Moons of the world. Seriously, wouldn't today's rock drummers shatter the bulbs? It'd have to be some kinda special bulb, I guess."

Believe me, a military style regimental parade drummer is just as brutal as Bonzo or Keith! OK, maybe not as Keith when he destroyed the drum set, but none of the kit is up to that.

Probably dangling the bulb from it's cord is enough shock mounting to save it. No it won't be a compact flourescent!

I'll be turning the bulb on and off as if it were part of the show, but really to regulate the humidity.

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Dendy, I remember the Tivoli stuff - didn't that spell the end of Vistalites for a while? Problems with the Tivoli caused Vistalite sales to plummet?

Anyway, I had an idea about 15 years ago that I never did anything with and it involves lighting.

Put a light in each drum. Put a trigger on each drumhead. Hook the trigger up to the power source for each light (each light should be powered seperately). Rig it so that the light only comes on when the drum is struck. Instant light show. Make sure that you get someone knowledgable to work out the trigger/power thing though - you don't want a fire.

--

Rob

I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

"Anyway, I had an idea about 15 years ago that I never did anything with and it involves lighting.

Put a light in each drum. Put a trigger on each drumhead. Hook the trigger up to the power source for each light (each light should be powered seperately). Rig it so that the light only comes on when the drum is struck. Instant light show. Make sure that you get someone knowledgable to work out the trigger/power thing though - you don't want a fire."

That's absolutely brilliant. If we can figure out how to do that, it's just perfect for my needs!

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Originally posted by Ted Nightshade:

That's absolutely brilliant. If we can figure out how to do that, it's just perfect for my needs!

No problem, Ted. Anyone with a knowledge of electronics can probably rig it up for you.

Should I tell my accountant that the cheque is in the mail? :)

--

Rob

I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

Hey folks how about a set of drums that stack inside each other without one head on it.

First the drums are removed within each other, then a separate heads attached to the drum and snaped in place like a tool box snap. These would be located around the perimeter of each drum in place of the existing lugs. The clamps would be labled 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 or whatever. That way it would line up the same way every time and have the pre-tension in it. This would save on carrying separate drums to a gig. Setup would be a "snap". One case on wheels if you want, or 2 handles on it.

I'll need to come up with an idea for the cymbals.

Jazzman :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

Let's see:

1. A low profile little percussion rack (cowbells etc.) for on top the bass drum, under the toms - around the snare.

2. A recreation of my Ludwig Paiste 8" splash (RIP)

3. A drum set that was like the jetson's car...one button and it packs itself into a carry - on

4. Drumsticks with metal tips... come on Zildjian put 1 and 1 together and give me a pair! What a sound they would have on HIHats.

5. ReRelease Evans ROCK heads...best heads ever..

6. a convertable Ginger Baker snare drum, adjustable gap between shells - could be fully closed! see Baker's SD @ Hard Rock Miami

&. Antares Auto-Tune drums --- I hate tuning!

8. shock mounted drink holder - i hate foamy of flat beer

9. everything again, but lighter!

10. drums that doubled as hookahs!

As for lights in drums, it works even better with a short in the cord, that way when ever you hit the drum it turns on and off - of course this can be done much safer with triggers and MIDI --- but one of the coolest gigs I've played was in a bar that had never had live entertainment in 70 years, I think we rattled every lightbulb in the place, it felt like the building was dancing! Cool, Cool, vibe -- and the fact that the crowd was piling up the tables and chairs so more people could fit in to see the show didnt hurt either.

Archived