Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

*yawn*

sidereal

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not,(at least not yet anyway) :D

I have a question about cymbals that have sizzelers(revits) built into them. I recently heard a real cool Jazz song that the drummer had a sweet sounding cymbal. The cymbal had a very long sustain to it. It seemed that the revits and the cymbal were each weighted just right.

The revits could either be brass or stainless steel, right?

I knew someone that drilled out a cymbal and installed revits in it. It also didn't sound good either. I told him that the revits were too short restricting them to vibrate on the cymbal. Again short lived.

Years ago I had a cymbal that sizzled for a short period of time. I had to hit the cymbal hard, brushes never worked well with it, and when I hit the cymbal the revits restricted the vibration of the cymbal. I didn't like it at all. I think the cymbal was too heavy as compared to the weight of the revits, or maybe the revits were too short. Maybe too many revits in the cymbal.

Where can I pick up the right type. Is there a sustian rate published ie. short sustain, long sustain, very long sustain?? I have yet to see one of these set ups in a drum shop or any other musical store for that matter.

Catalogs may have them but I don't want to be disappointed again. I currently use the dumb chain trick! Not tool cool.

I would primarily would use it for soft Jazz, acoustic Jazz.

Sidereal and Bart what is your take on this? This wasn't asked before was it?????

Wake up guys, don't sleep on me now. :D:D

My fade out..........

Jazzman :cool:

I'd like to know too. :)

I remember a long time ago, reading about how you can stop a crack in a cymbal by drilling a hole in the precise area where the crack is spreading toward. And then once you've done that you can put a rivet into it.

I could either throw away my cracked cymbal (probably will anyway) or experiement with this technique and maybe put additional rivets in. dunno how it's done though.

Just for the record.

I would say the sizzle or sustain is determined my the amount of rivets one decides to put in. I have several cymbals with rivets, including a pair of hats. A good drum shop will offer brass and "steel" rivets. Usually they sell the ones that you don't need a rivet gun to install.

Put a piece of wood under your cymbal before you drill it or better yet, take it to a machine shop and have them mount it on a turntable. Then they can index your hole locations very nicely and give you a clean hole.

Hey, Sidereal:

I hope my lack of presence has not added to your boredom!

I say ... time to expand our thinking.

We need to ask more specific questions as we have covered many broad issues.

Additionally, we need to think outside the box regarding drumming. What and how can we better ourselves as drummers. How can we serve other drummers here?

Additionally, I would like to get some other participation from other musicians. Like ... What does a bass player look for in a drummer. That would be interesting to see what bass players look for in our compliment to the band!

Thoughts?

DJ

Archived