Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Notation Software?

mrthirsty

I've been looking for a software program to transcribe drum parts so I can have nice copies instead of my chicken scrach pen-manship. I downloaded the demo version of Finale but am finding it really difficult to use it to do drum parts(ie. can't get the stems to go in the direction I want, rests end up in weird places and so on). Another feature of the retail version is the ability to print out individual instrument parts from midi files(not included on demo version), this would come in handy since a lot of the work I do involves sequencers of some kind and would save me some time if I could just read the charts from the midi part if the arrangement is a bit different from the original. This software is not cheap and quite the investment, has anyone here had experience with this? How did it meet your needs?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use Finale, although I don't have the latest versions.

It will be able to meet your needs; no doubt about that. On the con side of Finale, it's not as user friendly as some other notation programs. It's very powerful ... but it does take time to learn all the little short cuts and really get good at engraving. I don't use mine that much anymore, so it takes we awhile to get the finished product. The old saying "use it or lose it" really applies here.

I've heard great things about Sibelius; you should check that out as well. Most of the music schools that I'm familar with use Finale or Sibelius.

Sibelius is at http://www.sibelius.com

Finale is at http://www.codamusic.com

Let us know what you decide on!

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Finale is a great program. It is a VERY powerfull tool. The possibilites it offers are pretty much endless. There are ways to make the stems go in the right direction, and it actually is pretty easy. Bart is right though. This program has a rather steep learning curve. Plus, the full version of the program is like $545. But, you can get the basic version for $75 or so. This might solve you immediate needs. If you need the full version, see if you can find someone to help you get the educational discout, which knocks the price down to $275 I don't know anything about Sibelius, but I know there are some other options.

1. On Musicplayer.com, there is a program called Igor Engraver, you'll find more info on it at www.noteheads.com. It looks cool, but I have never used it.

2. Cakewalk makes some music notation software, but I am unfamiliar with it.

3. I'm not sure, but I think I remember Cubase making some sort of notation program.

4. check out www.harmony-central.com I am sure you'll find more answers there.

BTW, From what I have read, heard, and experienced, Finale runs MUCH better on a mac.

Well, this topic got me curious. Sibelius looks amazing. I have not used it, but plan on downloading the demo this weekend. They will have it native for OS X.1 in the first quarter of 2002. At that point, i might seriously consider purchasing it. I really recommend you check out their website.

Hey, Guys:

I actually use Finale ..., but only because I have used it for a long time.

I have several percussionist that are close friends that use Sibelius and swear by it.

I have sent this thread to the Director of Marketing for Sibelius for additional input for percussionists ... because he is a percussionist.

Perhaps he can offer some unbiased percussionist advice!?!

DJ

I am needing to upgrade my Finale program because there have been MANY changes since I originally purchased it ... TEN YEARS AGO!!!!! :eek:

I've purposely put it off because I don't use it enough to merit spending BIG $$$ ... especially when my older version works just fine for what I use it for: drum/percussion notation for the WWW and lessons, rhythm charts, etc.

I am in the process of writing a method book and will definitely be updating the program before I start engraving for print. I'm seriously considering Sibelius since the newer version of Finale is quite different than my old version. If I'm going to start over, it might as well be with a powerful, yet minimal learning curve program like Sibelius.

The only people I have found that don't like Sibelius are the ones who have ALWAYS used Finale ... so they are diehard supporters and can't give unbiased opinions. The newbies and out-dated-Finale-users, like yours truly, tend to prefer Sibelius over Finale.

It's worth checking out and comparing the two programs.

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Archived