Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

can 1 snare do it all live????

felix stein

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by felix stein:

I'm having problems with my brass at lower volumes sounding "thin" i'm told (i'm missing a strand on the snares as well)...gonna fix it tonight.

That ain't all your missing buddy! LOL ;)

I just recently finished a live recording which involved three nights infront of an audience. I had four snares on stage with me! LOL

My YAMAHA 4x12 Peter Erskine snare is always one of my secondary snares in my set-up. The others were rotated in and out for my primary snare. I'm glad I had them there (on stands) because early on one evening, during a slammin' funk groove, I noticed that the head on my DW snare probably wouldn't last another tune. So as soon as the song was over, I switched to another snare. Of course, I rubbed the snare mic during the process, but it was between tunes. :eek:

I really like to have a variety to choose from, although it's not advisable unless you have a great relationship with the sound man. I can't believe they were will to not only mic my secondary snare, but both sets of hihats (I use a set of X-Hats on the right side of my kit).

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

ok... as u all no I'm no pro at all but I'll say what I think if u dont mind... hehe

I think it depends, if like bart says your going to play live for 3 nights or something it might be a good idea to bring more then 1 snare...

but if your just playing a 45min set in a bar, I think 1 snare will do...

what do I know anyway... just my 2c...

PS: even if I wanted to use more then 1 snare I dont have more...

I really like to have a variety to choose from, although it's not advisable unless you have a great relationship with the sound man.[/QB]

I should say so! Are you saying you had 4 snares miked up? (holy back pain) or were you somehow switching snares onto one stand? (holy EQ nightmare for Mr. Soundman)

Seriously.... I'm curious how you did this.

Just for the record.

Originally posted by sidereal:

I should say so! Are you saying you had 4 snares miked up? (holy back pain) or were you somehow switching snares onto one stand? (holy EQ nightmare for Mr. Soundman)

Seriously.... I'm curious how you did this.

LOL ... I had two snares miked up at all times; a primary and a secondary snare. The primary snare was the only one that I rotated between two additional snares, which were on their own snare stands. This was only in an emergency really. It was a live concert which was being recorded.

So basically I had a secondary snare (Yamaha 4x12) that always remained miked up and in a permanent position. I had three additional snares that I had set-up to choose from. By the time we had finished rehearsals and got a sound check, I had selected the snare that I would use as my primary snare drum. The other two were backups, still on stands, sitting behind me. If I broke a head .... I couldn't just wave my arms and stop the band and the recording so I could switch snare drums OR take 10 minutes to put a new head on.

As I explained earlier, the extra snares saved my butt because the primary snare's batter head was not going to make it through another song. I switched the drums out quickly and away we went; no one knew what happened except myself, the house soundman, and the recording engineer who was out of the building.

I had tried all the snares before the night started, so the recording engineer already knew that any of the three would work; no EQ involved. The house soundman probably had to make a few quick adjustments ... but that was very slight.

I actually worked out great because the next tune was a ballad. I was using my DW 5x14 wood snare and switched to a Pearl 6.5x14 stainless steel snare. Big difference in the body of the sound, but both had a good *CRACK* to them.

They will select the best tracks out of the three nights in order to make the album. Don't know what's going to happen ... but we'll see.

Very interesting. Seems like no is the answer when one is into fusion.

I put the newer set of the Yamaha high carbon steel snares on the 6.5 Yamaha brass and evened out the bottom head tuning some while addressing a few issues on the batter.

Noticable difference. I have an attack high energy coated on the top head with a dot and a remo rennaissance on the bottom. Sensitivity is better...kinda hollow sounding at lower volumes when ghosted, but I like that.

I have been romancing the idea of a dw maple snare myself after I heard a 6.5 blond Craviotto (sp?) at the drum shop...tonally complex and round, but exsquisitely sensitive.

Played an Erskine snare many times but the Garibaldi was the one that got my wallet...too bad I sold it....they are both great drums. Did you ever play any of the Weck snares Bartman? Those interest me these days. I also heard a yamaha copper at sam ash last weekend...6.5 with a stocker head...very nice as well...cheap too...$275 bucks.

Originally posted by felix stein:

Played an Erskine snare many times but the Garibaldi was the one that got my wallet...too bad I sold it....they are both great drums. Did you ever play any of the Weck snares Bartman? Those interest me these days. I also heard a yamaha copper at sam ash last weekend...6.5 with a stocker head...very nice as well...cheap too...$275 bucks.

I haven't tried the Weckl snare, but I have a friend in Nashville who owns one and really enjoys it. I almost picked one up off eBay.

Speaking of eBay, I've bought several snares off there and got some killer deals ... like more than 60% off retail ... and barely used if that! You have to really research and ask a lot of questions, but sometimes you get lucky. I got the Yamaha 4x12 Peter Erskine off eBay ... incredible price. Also the third snare in my line (as mentioned in my ealier post on this thread) is a Pearl 5x13 Omar Hakim 100% Mahogany snare ... again off eBay. One strike of this bad boy and you'll think I just shot you with my Glock 40 caliber pistol! :D

Part of me hates buying a drum before playing it. Typically I already know about the drum or have played the model before. I take my chances in that there is no defects or problems with it. I get a little suspicious when someone gets a new snare then turns around and sells it on eBay. Usuallly the seller just doesn't know what they want in the way of sound or they need the bread ... so they sell. If I can pick the drum up really cheap ... it's worth the risk. I know I could turn around and sell it if I needed to.

So far, I've purchased three snares (among other things) off eBay and have been VERY pleased.

I'm beginning to feel like a gear whore; I just can't get enough! :cool:

Well, Bart:

We are all as drummers ... gear whores!

I am up to 10 snares now! When does it end?

I am with you .. though, I think in many cases ... multiple snares are often a necessity on live performances. Changing snares out between songs is an art in unto itself!

At least you only bumped the mic ... instead of having it crash to the floor! That has happened to me before. Talk about turnin' red!

LOL,

DJ

I am going with a very strong agree but disagree. This is a firm opinion!! :D

On the one hand, I can get a lot out of one moderatly tuned quality snare(5.5-6.5" deep, anything more or less really "specializes" the drum). You can get stacatto all the way to tons of open overtones, by simply striking the drum in a differnt position. You can almost get a "ballad" type snare sound by using a mallet, which really rounds out the sound. This is what I do for normal live gigs, it's just bringing multiple snares is uncalled for, at least the situations I am in. Big gigs like what Bart does, I really see the point, but not for bar gigs and casuals.

On the other hand, the sounds will be better and easier to get by using different drums that are simply better suited for a particular tune. However, for live purposes, I would be more apt to bring a second drum for backup only. Something could go wrong(i.e. Bart's batter head's death!) and you need a quick change. But for a guy that has no roadie or anything and don't play $$ gigs yet, i just keep REALLY close attention to everything before I take the drum to the gig.

As for the Weckl snare, I think the dual straine is overkill. Yes, the drums sound nice, big deal, a lot of drums sound nice. It is really hard to get comfortable behind them because of those 2 full size strainers. Orchestral snares have dual and triple strainers, but do this by only using 1 true strainer, and the others are built into the main unit. This keeps less hardware on the drum(=more resonance) and also keeps a nice fluid look. Check out Black Swamp Percussion, and even Pearl has one with a dual strainer. There is simply no need for 2 full size strainers anymore.

Archived