Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pieceing a kit together

KikkyMonk

I don't have enough money for a nice high end keep-it-for-a-long-time-type drumset. So I'm going to piece one together one thing at a time. First I want a bass, snare, hi-hat, a crash, and a dbl bass pedal (or maybe one of the ones you can add a second one later)

So that brings me to my first question. It has occured to me that all things being equal 2 basses from 2 different companies could sound very much alike... so how do I pick a bass out? I mean I could go to GC and play with them all but a huge part of a bass sound is the head type and tuning so with that in mind how can I decide?

Perhaps someone has some suggestions on how to get me started... I'm way to confused. I would preferably like to buy used (maybe ebay) and I have $2500 for the pieces above. Any ideas?

Maybe it would be cheaper to buy a mid range set? I dunno

Lost,

Dave

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi kikkymonk, a friend of mine pieced together a practice set that he left over at his friends house. It was wild, sounded good, so good that he was considering re-facing them.

I don't know about pieces. If you buy a new set, warrenty goes along with it, for example a Pearl Export, 6 piece kit with all of the hardware for $800.00, that leaves you with a cash balance of $1700.00 for cymbals, you can get some good cymbals at local drum shop with that extra money. Sometimes some drum shops will help you along and give you other deals to go along with the set. You can get a Ludwig Elite 5 piece Power Kit for $849.00. There is a Yamaha SC2F57 Stage Custom Standard, 5 piece for $800.00. If you go with a friend that may shop in a drum shop or other stores that sell a variety of equipment, may get you some extra deals.

Try this site for more...WWW.musiciansfriend.com

Just my thoughts. Hope that this helps a little.

Jazzman :cool:

Hey,

You really need to shop ebay and some specialty drum shops for good quality older used drums/cymbals. You can get a great top of the line kit with cymbals for the kind of budget you have.

Take your time, however. Do not let that money burn a hole in your pocket.

Be patient. A sweet deal exists out there for you.

DJ

What are the top companies for the price range I am looking at? I went to ebay and was overwhelmed with the choices of manufacturers. Please help me to boil it down to a managable few.

Perhaps a trip to a drum shop for some reference is in order

Dave

May I recommend a few stratagies regarding your search:

1) Never take your money on the first visit! There is nothing that is so good that sleeping on it for a day will not make good sense.

In case you do see something that is JUST TOO GOOD to wait on, try to get them to hold it for 24 hours with a small deposit. Just explain that you need to make sure you are making a good decision.

2) Thoroughly check it out. There is nothing like getting home and thinking that you have purchased one thing ... only to find that you are stuck with a lemon.

3) Always remember ... "this kit has been in the boxes since 1975" stories are far and few. "If it sounds too good to be true ... it probably is!"

Hope this helps.

DJ

Hi KikkyMonk, I agree with djarrett all the way, it's the smart way to shop, besides the sales person may want to give you a better deal when he starts to see you leave the store. If he gives you additional incentives for a better deal,tell him you still want to think about it some more. ;)

Oh, BTW, go on a day that they are not busy!

My fad out.........

Jazzman :cool:

Archived