Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

PASIC 2001 � An Event you shouldn't miss!!! Read all about it!

djarrett

Hey, Guys: Here is the press release from the Percussive Arts Society regarding the upcoming PASIC in Nashville, Tennessee.

This thing is gonna rock!

DJ

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

The Percussive Arts Society International Convention (PASIC®) 2001 will bring together educators, students, performers and industry representatives for four days of non-stop excitement Nov. 14-17 at the Nashville Convention Center and Renaissance Nashville Hotel. Hosted by Tennessee PAS Chapter President, George Barrett, this convention visits Nashville for the third time and Tennessee for the fifth!

The Percussive Arts Society® (PAS®), an international, not-for-profit membership organization for drummers and percussionists, based in Lawton, Oklahoma, anticipates an exciting convention presenting over 120 events on 10 stages featuring many of the best drummers and percussionists in the world! The convention will showcase well over 500 artists, clinicians, and performers in clinics, concerts, master classes and workshops focusing on many areas of percussion, including drumset, orchestral, keyboard, world, electronics and more.

The International Drum & Percussion Expo, the biggest display of percussion products in the United States, will feature more than 130 exhibitors who will display the latest in percussion instruments, accessories, and publications. Exhibits are open 9 am to 5 pm on Thurs, Fri and Sat. Daily admission to the expo is $10 at the door. This daily admission ticket is also good for the PASIC Marching Percussion Festival events on Thursday and Friday.

The convention kicks off Wednesday, Nov. 14 at 9 a.m. with New Music/ Research Day. The theme "Wired for Percussion." features percussionists and composers performing compositions by over twenty different composers, five world premieres, in styles ranging from world music to jazz to the avant-garde. Hear the latest in music technology, from samplers to software, and meet the artists using and creating new applications. One of the evening highlights will be the showing of a version of Frederich Wilhelm Murnaus Nosferatu, A Symphony of Horror at 8 pm. The film, restored by Film Preservation Associates, will have enhanced titles and a new score by the Silent Orchestra. The score and sound design by the Silent Orchestra make this the most frightening version of Nosferatu ever released. Dont miss it!

Following this performance stick around for the kick off of PASICs tradition of hot jazz at night,

Tony Verderosa a.k.a. VFX: Tony Verderosa on drums, electronic drums synths, samplers, Vocoder; and David Mann: sax and digital effects. This duo will feature original works fusing DrumnBass and jazz.

Thursday, Nov. 15 features a variety of clinics, master classes, paper presentations, panel discussions, orchestral mock auditions, and showcase concerts by such performers as the University of Oklahoma Percussion Orchestra, and Michael Burritt and the Tempus Fugit Percussion Ensemble; terrace concert: University of Memphis Percussion Ensemble; childrens concert: Lalo Davila & Orkesta Eme Pe; drumset artists: Johnny Rabb, Clayton Cameron, Lewis Nash, Chad Wackerman & Terry Bozzio; and world percussionists: Russ Hartenberger, Ray Dillard, John Bergamo, Bill Cahn & Ruth Cahn (world percussion in orchestra clinic), and Ebenezer de Silva, (Brazilian clinic), Richie Flores with Robbie Ameen and Robert Vilera (world clinic); marching clinics: Bret Kuhn, Thom Hannum, John Pratt, Marty Hurley and Mitch Markovich.

There will also be clinics, labs and master classes by Bill Molenhof, vibist; Jean Geoffroy, Victor Mendoza, keyboard; Ray Dillard assisted by Anders Astrand and Dan Moore (recording techniques); Tony McCutchen, Percussion Ensemble Literature Session; Christine Stevens, Health and Wellness; orchestral; Alan Abel (snare drum), Theresa Dimond (cymbalum), Norbert Goldberg (drumset/world) and more.

For marching band fans, the individuals division of the college and high school Marching Percussion Festival runs from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Thursday and the drum line competition starts at 9 a.m on Friday.

Later in the evening enjoy a concert at 8 pm with Keiko Abe, in the Ryman Auditorium. Artists who will join her in presenting this program are Michael Udow, Anthony DiSanza, Ney Rosauro, Joseph Gramley, James Wyatt, and Christopher Froh. Don't miss this rare concert appearance. This concert will be followed by the second hot night of jazz featuring Tommy Wells with Jimmy Hall and the Prisoners of Love.

Thursday and Friday evening there will be a drum circle at 10 pm. The Friday evening world drum circle will be led by Kalani.

On Friday, Nov. 16, the Percussive Arts Society presents drumset artists Paul Leim, Mike Mangini, Yoron Israel, Stanton Moore, Kenny Aronoff and Brian & Brady Blade; and keyboard percussionists Gordon Stout, and Thomas Burritt; electronic artists James Metcalfe and Michael Mizma. World percussion clinicians for Friday are Trichy Sankaran, Chalo Eduardo, Randy Crafton, Tony Vacca, John Bergamo & the Hands OnSemble (clinic/performance), and

Paschal Younge with the West Virginia African Ensemble. Those interested in orchestral can attend clinics by David Herbert or Tim Adams (timpani), Arnie Lang (cymbals lab) and Neil

Grover (tambourine lab). The Health and Wellness clinic will be presented by Robert Friedman.

Fridays concerts will include showcase concerts with the University of Kentucky Percussion

Ensemble, Christopher Norton assisted by Nashville Chamber Orchestra & Nexus

(clinic/performance), winners of the Belgium International Marimba Competition (Hidemi Murase, solo winner and Miguel Gonzalez Zaragoza & Juan Martinez Cortes, duo winners), and Katarzyna Mycka with the Vanderbilt University Orchestra. There will also be terrace concerts with the University of TN Chattanooga Percussion Ensemble, University of TN Knoxville Percussion Ensemble, and Street Beats. The feature evening concert at 9:30 pm is the Caribbean Jazz Project featuring Dave Samuels, Dave Valentin and Steve Kahn. The late Friday PASIC hot jazz nights continue featuring the Lewis Nash Trio.

The highlight of the convention is the Hall of Fame Banquet Friday evening at 7 pm where some of the percussion worlds great percussionists Joe Calato, Mel Lewis, Babatunde Olatunje, Al Payson and Tito Puente will be honored and inducted into the Percussive Arts Societys Hall of Fame.

On Saturday, Nov 17, novice players are encouraged to attend the FUNdamentals classes for the young percussionist with Dave Black and Mark Dorr, drumset; Chris Treloar and Frank Shaffer, keyboard; Rich Holly and John R. Beck, accessories; and David Steinquest and Frank Oddis, snare drum. These sessions are specifically geared to junior high and senior high school age players. The "FUN" part of these sessions will be the opportunity for hands-on learning and performance with some of the top percussion educators in the field today.

Saturday is once again filled with clinics and master classes including drumset: Brian Fullen, Liberty DeVitto, Tommy Wells & Jerry Kroon, Akira Jimbo, Billy Ashbaugh, Glen Caruba and Chester Thompson (drumset/world), Pat Petrillo (marching/drumset), Rick Marotta with Will Lee & Ross Bolton; marching: Paul Rennick with the Carolina Crowns Cymbals and Jeff Moore with the Madison Scouts Bass Drum Line, and Erik Johnson and the Cavaliers Pit Ensemble; orchestral: Keith Aleo, Tom Sherwood, Alan Abel, Mike Rosen (drum head tucking lab), Stanley Leonard, Sal Rabbio and John Evans (timpani forum); vibraphone: Joe Locke; and keyboard: Fillippo Lattanzi.

World Percussion performers of the day are: Babatunde Olatunji (Q&A), Gideon Foli Alorwoyie (African), Ruben Alvarez, Rolando Morales Soto, Kalani, and Salvador Ferreras.

Saturday concerts include showcase concerts with the Britain/Moore Duo, Mark Ford (keyboard), and the Westfield High School Percussion Ensemble; terrace concerts featuring Project

166: WKU Alumni Percussion Quintet, ABUSUA: West African Drumming and Dance Ensemble, and Flat Baroque (mostly) Marimba Quartet.

The convention will climax on Saturday night at 8 p.m.with the final concert featuring NEXUS-Bob Becker, Bill Cahn, Robin Engelman, Russel Hartenberger and John

Wyre- celebrating their 30th anniversary season in 2001 with guest artists Peter Erskine, Chris

Norton, Michael Mizma, Eric Stevens, and Rolando Morales Matos. The last event of the convention is a salsa showcase with Lalo Davila & Orkesta Eme Pe.

Registration opens daily at 7:30 a.m. Admission to concerts, clinics and master classes costs $65 for adults and students (with ID) $45 for one-day only per individual. If you plan to attend two to four days the cost is $145 and students $105. To register online and for more information about PASIC 2001 call (580) 353-1455 or browse our Web site at http://www.pas.org.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

is impossible for me to go, even when i can get the money i dont have any idea of where nashville is, and im 17 i dont know how i would go alone.....

someone on nashville who can have me in your house ??hehhehe im nice and interesting, if you have a 16 years old daughter is better..... ;)

• 1 month later...
Mr. Jarrett, Mr. Verdi helped me a great deal in learning how to isolate my left hand fingers on the stick. I couldn't move my fingers without moving the wrist. He showed me how he solved his problem by holding the left wrist and just moving the fingers for 15 min. a day. I finally got it. I am going to email him and thank him very much for that tip. I was ready to give up on this finger thing. I am really happy i'm starting to get it. He's a nice guy. He worked with me 4 or 5 times.

I learned a lot about left hand finger control also from that guy. He showed me that same thing about keeping my wrist steady while moving my fingers. I'm still trying it. That guy has amazing finger style technique. He was playing these triplet beats with his left hand at speeds of 230 or something like that, with the metronmoe. He showed me to come down with both hands together. He said if you do the left hand for 20 minutes and the right hand for 20 minutes that's 40 minutes of practice. If you do both hands together you cut the practice time in half to 20 minutes with the same practice, and both hands stay warmed up.

Archived