Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

micing a hair metal drum kit without subgrouping

selloutrr

OK i'm wondering how would you tackle the task of micing a drum set that has 2 kicks 2 snares and 7 toms 2 hi hats and a full cage of cymbals. the drummer plays his ride so close to the floor toms it's near impossible to isolate the toms from the ride. there are 24 tracks of 2" reel to use for the band + guitar, lead, rythme, bass, and vocals. would it be worth tracking the drums all on 2" ( since the drummer refuses to use a sub mix ) then burning down a stereo mix back on to 2" ( it just doesn't leave much room for a remix ) another question what mics have you found to work best on capturing an agressive metal drum tone with minimal bleeding of tracks?.... I wish I had about 20 shot gun mics - lol

thanks~ Mark

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well well well.

I would see if the studio, label or drummer is willing to invest in a may micing system (best case scenario)....

Then I would use about 3 or 4 over small condenser overheads-Muemann K 180 something series or the older ones (you will probably be using whatever since I take it this a project studio deal).... Also for overheads with a large area to cover I might suggest trying some PZM mics placed around the kit and eq out the drums...bump up the highs.

I would also suggest micing the rack toms two at a time. I don't know what kinda budget you are on, but if your drummer is so rich to have a kit like that he can afford to mic it up as well.

But first I would start small...get the kick and snare tones happening first...you will need a bunch of gates to minimize bleed. Or just go for that big room sound and maybe even put a mic on your drummer.

Or just get another drummer with a smaller kit...that would really solve the problem.

I'm sure he/she is a great player, but my God, I would think one would only need a 6 piece or so for hair metal.

Kicks to track 1 and 2, both snares to 3, mix all toms to 4 and 5, an ORTF pair of KM84's or C451/CK1's behind the drummer to 6 and 7.

I suppose he/she hits the ride cymbal really hard and the hats also, if not mike them.

You will need a decent pair of gates for the toms.

I have recorded tons of metal bands and sometimes used 16 or 17 tracks on drums, but only because I had two machines in sync.

The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

I'd go this route (stay with me now http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif )...

sub both kicks to Track 1

sub both snares to Track 2

sub both hi-hats to Track 3 (or just the main hat; experiment, the OHs may pick up the second just fine)

sub all toms to Tracks 4 & 5 (1 mic for each 2 toms [for the first 6 toms] then 1 mic for the last floor tom. use a subtle stereo spread on the mixer across the resulting 4 channels [tom mic 1/2, tom mic 3/4, tom mic 5/6, tom mic 7])

two overheads to Tracks 6 & 7 (placement will be crucial with such a massive kit)

if you have room for an 8th input, try placing a condenser at the front of the kit to get some more of the overall drum sound.

Sounds like the drummer has more live playing experience than studio experience, given that his ride is so close to the floor tom. Give him a bit of a polite education on setting up a kit for recording and getting comfortable with that.

Another thing you may want to politely educate the drummer on, is that recording is different from live playing. There's no way in hell any drummer needs 7 toms in the studio. Live, sure, for that vibe. But having all those drums just sounds silly to me. But if you have to do it, go for the above. (my humble opinion of course http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif )

This message has been edited by sidereal on 10-11-2001 at 07:15 PM

Just for the record.

how do you feel about Kepex gates? I've had good luck with them what would be a step up? for tom mics I'll probably use sennheiser 421's and experiment with possably putting an EV re20 on the lowest floor tom. for the snare I'll go with the standard sm57 on top and try a condensor on the shell. I was thinking do to the cymbal wash i might try a shotgun mic on the hi hat to help isoslate. Like you suggested i'll use the KM145 Neumann for a stereo over head. What have you found to be really nice drum pre's?

HI i just wanted to make a correction.. the neumann over heads we are using are the km84 ( they were the only piece of gear we were renting ) when i posted it i was reading from the rental sheet sorry for any confusion.

thanks~

Mark

I'll let you know how it turns out when we finish on the 23rd

well we finished early!!! and heres how it went

overheads L & R ( neumann km84 stereo pair )

snare head ( sm57 )

snare shell ( ev515 )

hi hat's ( akg451 8pattern )

hi tom ( Audix d2 )

hi/mid tom ( sennheiser 421 )

mid tom ( sennheiser 421 )

mid/low tom ( sennheiser 421 )

hi floor tom ( sennheiser 421 )

low floor tom ( Ev re-20 )

Kick ( akg d112 )

Kick ( akg d112 )

it took 13 tracks, i got lucky and the drummer was willing to arrange his set ( cymbals ) so i could place mics.

I gated them with allison research kepex gates

and compressed at a 4:1 ratio medium thresh and fast attack

added a 150ms stereo room verb litely to the overheads and cut hard at 500hz to give the toms presence

a 60ms delay on the snare ( shell ) that finishes the song at 100ms after the breakdown...

it sounds pretty good teh drummer wasn't as tight as i wished he was so i made him sound the best he's ever been, but the sad thing is with out a computer editing system , shit in .... shit out. though the tones were great.

after it's mastered i'll get a sample up for you to give some input on!

Thanks ~

Mark

Archived