Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Whats up with Carter B?

KikkyMonk

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like him just fine. I think people view him as a Dennis Chambers clone.

Dennis should be flattered that Carter makes use of many "Chamberisms".

Plagiarism is the highest form of compliment ... at least for Dennis.

I think Carter offers a lot of himself; there is an original side to him. I don't know why anyone would diss another for sounding like some other "great" drummer. Perhaps some are jealous that they can't do what Dennis does, and therefore hate Carter because he can. Who knows.

Comparison is such a silly thing. I'm not a great drummer, but I am who I am ... and know one can do what I do, the way I do it ... but ME. The same goes for each and every one of us. All are individual ... All are unique.

------------------

Bart Elliott

http://bartelliott.com

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Carter is an outstanding drummer, and one of more important drummers on the scene right now. He is still new blood basically. Plus he is in a very MAJOR band. He brings drumming more toward the front, reminding people that even in pop music, a machine can never sound like a real person. That's one reason, another is his "innovative" style. I put innovative in quotes, because his style is very much copped from Dennis, Stewart, etc. But, he(like we all attempt to do) is able to combine other people's licks and grooves, etc to make his own unique style. Anyone hearing him can quickly identify who it is sitting behind the kit.

I can think of 3 reasons why many drummers do not care for him.

1. Jealousy(he actually gets to PLAY, and does it in a MAJOR pop band which gives him $$$$$$$$ out the wazoo!!)

2. Overplaying, which he does a lot of. But seriously, this ties in with the jealousy. He GETS to overplay, and make all of that dough, etc.

3. He cops a lot from other players, but you never really hear him talk and give credit to them. Especially Dennis. (Although i think he might occasionally be compared to Dennis unfaily, via non-drum related similiarites) But let's all be honest, if we could cleanly cop Vinnie, Stewart, Buddy, Gadd, Dennis, Weckl, we'd do it with smiles on our faces! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Bartman:

I like him just fine. I think people view him as a Dennis Chambers clone.

If I have any one good criticism of Carter, it's that he often plays too "jagged." It's a personal preference to be sure, though. He is very good.

Carter had one of the most impressive drum solos I've heard. I'm talking about the 17 solo "2&4" snare hits that start off the first song on "Remember Two Things." He did this live without keeping time on his hi-hat, no click track, no nothing. It's just 2&4 on the snare for forever, and the time is ROCK SOLID. The shots were exactly the same ear-popping volume on each stroke. The first time I heard that, I knew the drummer was showing off for other drummers, because no one else would ever realize how hard that is to do!

Carter B.'s drumming is undeniable to anyone who isn't prone to jealousy.

He does it all...simple fat grooves in 4/4, odd time, busy latin/funk grooves, Jazz. What's not to like?

Most of you know my stance on the "Less is More" argument...I've never heard Carter B. play anything that wasn't wonderfully musical.

With all that said, there are little things I don't like about his drumming sometimes...mostly I just wish he would play a bit more "Balsy" at times, especially on the Funk stuff they do. That's not necessarily his fault though...Dave Matthews seems very intent on making very Radio friendly music.

One other thing that gets overlooked by most is that Carter is hindered by a bass player who is only just starting to find his groove. A lot of the filling of space that Carter did on earlier albums and live was completely necessary...the groove wouldn't have happened without it.

This message has been edited by Steve LeBlanc on 10-09-2001 at 02:02 PM

Funny this should come up since I was listening to him last night...yes, felix was listening to DMB...some gay ass live 2cd thing...not the lilywhites though.

I then was laying in bed with my wifey and the pillow talk consisted of why I don't like DMB-"...darling, I try and try, but, I still hate that )*(&*&^*** band"...she laughed and said cause Dave Matthew's voice is horrible and all their songs sound the same.

Hmmmm. Carter has an excellent groove and his tom sound is impeccable yamaha. He plays many styles, all very well. There is something so sterile though...no depth to the groove and I think it's the band, not Carter. The sound of the band has no gut bucket grabbin' tones. It's all honkey sounding to me. Really wimpy guitar and bass tones built with great precision....Plus his fills to me are consistently melodramatic...he's a great timekeeper, there is some great opportunity to finish me off as a listening drummer and he DOESN'T DO IT>

I couldn't STAND DMB until I heard live at luther college... Timmy Reynolds (the other acoustic player) is AMAZING... his solos are so tasty, groovy, and technical... mmmm boy. After that the only thing I can listen to is live at red rocks and lillywhite (which I love) actually my favorite person in the band is BT... the violinist.. nice dissonant stuff..

Carter is good but I don't have any parts that I listen to and think "that is so cool" unlike other drummers... mostly I think there is so much going on the groove is lost so it sounds like a blur of stuff

Dave

Kikky, if you are a Dave fan, get Carter's 2 box instructional video set. Then you'll see why people like him so much. You know their song Two Step? It's a march song, and on the video, Carter does a section of the march part of the song. He does it in double time, with just his left hand at some points(when his right hand is off doing the cymbal,tom,tom,cymbal spot). He does a lot of impressive work on the tape set. He's holding back quite a bit with DMB as far as showing off his speed and technique. He's also always mainly been a jazz/fusion drummer, and the video shows a tiny bit of that with a clip from his old group, Secrets. Check out the video set, it has good Dave live stuff, plus Carter plays along with 6 studio songs, and goes over a lot of things on the tape. Great tape, if you're a DMB fan.

Derek

http://www.mp3.com/DustinDerek

I just want to go on record saying that i can't stand BT. He's fine on the albums, but when I saw the band live, the jacka$$ was horrible!! It didn't really have that much to do with what he played, that was fine. But everytime there was a solo(gtr, sax, even drums) he would start playing. Thisw guy has a serious self-esteem issue!!

DMB is a pop band that likes to glorify itself as something more. He initially was on the fringe of the early nineties jam band scene.(Dead,Phish,Blues Traveler etc.) But the elves and hippies quickly tired of his pompousity and self effacing attitude.(nice eyebrow trick Dave) Essentially he has turned off most musician types with his boring acoustic tripe. This would lead to CB getting a bum rap. There is plenty of room for DMB to keep the 17 yr old girls smiling and the 50 yr olds feeling hip, but as far as the 20-30 yr old dudes we need a little more. Sorry Carter but why don't you cash all those checks,cry your way to the bank, and then join a real band.

Originally posted by DerekDrums:

You know their song Two Step? It's a march song, and on the video, Carter does a section of the march part of the song. He does it in double time,

Are you saying he does the march part with just his left hand, including the rimshot?

I need to see that video...

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Carter doesn't use rimshots in Two Step, so I'm not sure what you are talking about. But, for the main part of the song, the actual march pattern he's doing, he goes into double time with both hands. It's on the spot at the end of the song where Carter is doing the sets of 4 double bassing with the sax. He goes into double time for a bit, and is using his right hand off to the side to do two cymbal hits, hit a tom, and go back up and do another cymbal hit. In the time he's doing that, his left hand is still keeping it in double time. Unbelievable.

Derek

http://www.mp3.com/DustinDerek

Archived