Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

It's out! The new Sonor Giant Step double pedal!

oyajipunk

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the idea and I have considerd it as well, but I have a Pearl Eliminator twin pedal now. By using a twin pedal I can not open the hihat while playing double bass, but I think two footed double bass is better for the independence of your feet. Also if I can finally play double bass very well, I might use two different sized kicks for playing even more interesting patterns http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

I've never understood the concept of these types of pedals. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/frown.gif

I've never played one, but it seems like it was be much harder to play one of these compared to a traditional double bass pedal.

Originally posted by BruBoz:

I've never understood the concept of these types of pedals. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/frown.gif

I've never played one, but it seems like it was be much harder to play one of these compared to a traditional double bass pedal.

The idea is that you can play double bass with one foot and still play open and closed hihat sounds, since your left foot isn't involved with the bass. Off course it's harder, doing more stuff than normal can't be easier! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

I've read some information, and heard about them for awhile, but I've yet to see either the Sonor or the Duallist pedal available anywhere. I'm curious whether either company is actually intending to market these pedals, or is this just more of a 'car of the future' thing?

For me, if they are headed for the general marketplace, even IF they can replace a double pedal, I think the prices had better come down, or they're not going to sell many of them. I think many folks may just look at them as a 'gimmicky single pedal', as yet really untested in the real world of live gigs and studio work, and may not want to shell out $600 for one.

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always have what you've always had.

Interesting input from all of you, just like any new product I see there are skeptics too. I would like to try this pedal out, for I think it will be perfect for my intended use, accents and the odd 16th or 32 pattern on the kick. I see it as an alternative to the double kick pedal, rather than a replacement, the only thing remaining to prove (to me) is whether it is easy to use (although I'm sure using it will take some practice). Looking forward to hearing some reviews...

• 3 weeks later...

I guess I must consider myself lucky to have tried one at the recent Gakki Fair in Tokyo. It was on display at the Komaki Gakki booth -- importers of Sonor and Premier in Jpn.

The pedal was on display -- somewhat tucked away. The staff was courteous enough to allow me to give it a test ride when I asked him.

First, some background: I'm an "aspiring beginner". I've been working on my heel-toe action w/ my bass drum using a single pedal -- a Yamaha FP-720? in my case, which I like for the large footboard.

I spent less than 5 minutes doing some single-strokes alternating toe-heel, and double-strokes using my heel-toe.

Impressions:

First, my Japanese foot seemed to be too small to step on the "heel" footplate at an angle that seemed appropriate for the shaft of the "heel" pedal (my foot size = US size 8). Despite the flatness of the heel footboard in its rest position, it moves at an angle when stepped in -- and I couldn't locate any adjustments for the angle.

Also, the narrowness of the pedal (without the "circle") was not very forgiving for my style of playing, where I like to place my foot at about a 10-degree angle to the footplate (toe off to the right) when doing double-strokes... btw, I don't know if the word "double-stroke" is appropriate for the foot?

I did not have the opportunity to adjust the "round" plate of the "toe" footboard to my foot size, and don't know if it's possible either.

My conclusion then was that

1. I wished my foot were bigger :-)

2. When I use a regular footpedal for heel-toe doublestrokes, I synchronize the spring's "return" with my heel's upstroke so I can smoothly switch to my second toe-stroke. Since the Giant Step has independent beaters, I felt I needed to "unlearn" my reliance on the pedal's return, which doesn't exist in this case!

Despite these initial reactions, I still felt the concept promising; I'll probably give it an extended workout when I see it at a dealer.

Compatibility to individual playing styles is so subjective, I expect everyone's mileage to vary quite considerably on this product.

My 3 yen worth....

Originally posted by oyajipunk:

Interesting input from all of you, just like any new product I see there are skeptics too. I would like to try this pedal out, for I think it will be perfect for my intended use, accents and the odd 16th or 32 pattern on the kick. I see it as an alternative to the double kick pedal, rather than a replacement, the only thing remaining to prove (to me) is whether it is easy to use (although I'm sure using it will take some practice). Looking forward to hearing some reviews...

theres another one that looks also I dont remember its name, the second beater is activated on the way up of the pedal.

So yea on the way down it does one hit, and on the way up it does another one... so its really easy to play doubles, but you dont HAVE to... it got a pretty good review somewhere, it was on the internet, but I think it was the website of DRUM! or modern drummer... or maybe not...

anyone else saw that one?

I tried it at the store a bit, its cool but expensive...

Scream -

Not sure, but you might be referring to the Duallist pedal:

Duallist Drum Pedal

Works in a different manner, but with the same thought in mind, one foot, two beaters.

Here again, I've not seen any of these actually for sale, either. And again, if they're going to want an arm and a leg for it, I don't think it'll do very well. And personally, I don't think it should be priced at the same as a double pedal, or more. I'd love to have one or two, but not at 'gadget gouging' prices.

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always have what you've always had.

yea thats the one I'm taking about. And yea I wsnt dreaming it had a good review in modern drummer.

Well yea here in montreal canada they had it at the store (Italmélodie for those that lives in montreal) and I tried it not even on a bass drum but some demo pad for pedals that doesnt make any sound... but it felt good, but its WAY over priced, so as you said I dont think a lot of people will be buying them.

do you guys consider this kind of pedal "cheating" because it makes the double pedal thing a lot easier? or you dont really care because its the not the way you do it that counts but the sound it gives you in the end?

I go for the #2, eventho a real double pedal looks a lot more fun to play, and if they were the same price I would probably get a double pedal.

Ps: modern drummer, are you affiliated to the mag in anyway or its just your nickname?

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: Scream187 ]

Hey, Scream:

Unlike the old saying ... "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain" in Wizard of Oz, Modern Drummer is not affiliated with the mag ... he just has a cool nickname.

Regarding your question about this new Sonor pedal being a cheat on the use of double pedals - I see this as a totally different instrument for us drummers. This pedal (which I have seen and felt ... boy ... it is slick!) much like a normal double pedal ... will require a complete skill set of accomplishments. If you have a double pedal and can use it, no doubt you have worked towards that end. If you have a regular double pedal mastered, it will not make you a natural on this new type of double (but in a single pedal housing) pedal. This pedal will require some woodshedding just as any new addition to the drumset.

What I cannot wait for is when Sonor releases this pedal in a double/double pedal version! Imagine the possiblities! Double stroke open rolls with your feet!!!

Sonor ... you listening?

My thoughts.

Peace,

DJ

Originally posted by djarrett:

What I cannot wait for is when Sonor releases this pedal in a double/double pedal version! Imagine the possiblities! Double stroke open rolls with your feet!!!

So you want a twin pedal with 4 beaters!??!? I doubt whether this is possible to build!

I think what you want is already possible with two kicks and two Sonor pedals.

Archived