Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dendy? Anyone? Off the record-PV's

felix stein

My guitar player is carrying the PV drum line now. I think they look great...no one seems to have the radial pro (high line kit) for ol' felix to bash though. I played them once when they first came out. The kit was out of tune but seemed to sound ok when played hard. Seems to me they would be very responsive considering how thin the shells are. Anyways, I'm considering one of these things cause they are so bizarre looking. Are they hip? Any experiences?...no corporate BS please, just initial impressions. I have heard through the grapevine they sound great.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, Felix:

Although ... I have to tread lightly here ... I am always honest.

I can say without reserve that Peavey's bass drum is probably the most cannon-like BD that I have ever heard. It just plain rips!

The toms have a great open sound. They remind me somewhat of the sound from Remo's drums (which despite being a resin coated carpet tube) ... I always thought sounded killer!

In the 1930's there was a drum company called Duplex that produced a snare drum that looks just like the Peavey drums of today. I, however, have just never been able to get past the fact that they just appear ugly to me. It, perhaps is just that I am used to seeing what I perceive to be normal. For you , the oddity of the look may serve best for your needs.

Have never heard complaints regarding the sound and performance of the drums.

Just my thoughts,

DJ

I'm going with Dendy on this one. I've heard good things about the sound. But (in my humble opinion) DAMN, those are some UGLY drums. You might really dig the way they look, and if so, that's cool. Get 'em if you dig em. But for me personally, no way!

Peaveys have always been a bit of a dark horse for me - I have biases based on their electronics stuff. But, I've been curious about the drums for a while. When Don Brewer (Grand Funk Railroad) started playing them I was very sceptical, but hearing those drums on GFR's Bosnia CD made me realise that they may actually be good drums. I don't know how much work, if any, was done to doctor or replace the sounds, but what's on the CD sounds good.

Anyone know Don? Maybe we can get his perspective on this.

--

Rob

I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

so, please forgive the fact that i'm way outta touch with what's out there nowadays, but are these things an xtra good value vs. sound quality (if you can handle the appearance, for which my vote goes yes), or are these priced in the same ballpark as DW or other higher end kits?

thanx....

Archived