Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is drumming exercise?

sidereal

OK, I know it is... but to what degree? You're working the fingers, hands, wrists, arms, shoulders, back, and calves to varying degrees, and you're sweating, but you're also sitting on your ass the whole time.

Sort of a stupid question I guess, and I know most of the answer to the question. But does anyone have thoughts on exactly what muscle groups are used, if it's generally good exercise, if it's harmful to certain parts (e.g. the lower back), and if drumming is generally considered good exercise? We tend to feel guilty in this country (U.S.) for not getting enough exercise, so I'm wondering if I'm doing my part.

Really I need to just stop drinking beer and then this growing 32 year old gut of mine will go away. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Just for the record.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, drumming is exercise. Any activity that "trains" to improve performance is exercise. But I think what you're asking is whether or not it's an adequate cardiovascular workout to "do your part". Probably not. Position isn't the problem. Riding a stationary bicycle can give you an excellent workout and you're still sitting. A cardiovascular workout implies exercising to the point that you sustain an increase in pulse and breathing over time. You should be comfortably short of breath. Most physicians recommend 20-30 minutes of sustained anaerobic exercise (the term aerobic exercise is technically incorrect). Anaerobic means your heart and lungs have to work harder because you aren't getting enough air due to the increased demands necessitated by the activity. Unless you're playing sustained solos for 20-30 minutes to maintain elevation of your heart rate, you're probably not getting an adequate workout.

This too is being re-thought. Some literature now suggests that 5 minutes of anaerobic activity done four or five times a day is just as good as 25 minutes sustained. Also, you have to consider which muscle groups are working. The harder the larger muscle groups (legs and back) work, the more exercise one gets as they place greater oxygen demands on the cardiovasular system because they are bigger. Running is more anaerobic than swimming as the legs work harder in running and the arms work harder in swimming and cross country skiing is harder still if one skis traditionally as the arms and legs are both used. This also depends on work effort. Running up hill is harder than running down hill and someone who is sprinting in a swim meet is going to place greater demands than a jogger cruising down hill. But for similar work efforts, the principle is valid.

Drumming uses most of the arm, leg, back and neck muscles. But the forarm muscles are getting the biggest workout and they're relatively small. While we use our legs, they have such powerful muscles they really don't have great demands placed on them. More than likely if you're legs get tired, you feel it in the shin from working the ankle groups and not in the thigh. Again, relatively small muscles.

Sweating indicates you're working or exercising as you're generating increased body heat. But it is not an idication of the quality of the work out as it can be affected by room temperature, clothing etc.

So keep drumming, but consider an alternative form of anarobic exercise. Brisk walking, inline skating, swimming, jogging, climbing stairs, rowing, it doesn't matter. 30 minutes of anaerobic activity a day is the single most important thing (other than not smoking or consuming tobacco products) you can do to minimize your risk of disease and maintain your health over your lifetime. Virtually all organ systems are benefitted by exercise and it reduces the risk of most forms of cancer. Skip

This message has been edited by Skip S on 09-23-2001 at 05:20 PM

This message has been edited by Skip S on 09-23-2001 at 05:22 PM

Well, what my friend Stan Lynch, who's very athletic in addition to being a very energetic drummer, has always said is: YES, drumming is exercise, definitely. However, just as professional athletes always cross-train in something other than their chosen sport, so should drummers. Doing some form of aerobic exercise such as running will really give you a lot more stamina as a drummer and, according to Stan, it will also help you to breathe correctly when playing. Stan's always put a lot of focus on breathing regularly while drumming, because he says one of the things that will really make your time and consistency go off is to give in to the urge to hold your breath during a fill. Your energy will also decrease over the course of a gig if you don't pay proper attention to breathing.

I'll leave it to others more experienced than I to answer the questions about which muscle groups are affected, etc. But just thought I'd pass along those couple of things which I've heard a lot from Stan.

--Lee

Skip, this is very interesting. Of course, sex is my number one choice for aerobic exercize ... did I say that?

I just suppliment that program with drumming http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Seriously, thanks doc for sharing your training!

Sincerely,

DJ

Archived