Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

eqing the acoustic guitar in rock music

selloutrr

i was curious to see if anyone had a suggestion to the eqing of an acoustic guitar ( no pick up ) to fit in the mix or a more agressive song it probably seems like a fiddle factor but the problem i'm having is it has a part in the song where it is only drums and acoustic I'm trying to create a sound between our lady peace and sunny day real estate but i need to capture a sound for this instrument that resembles more of powderfinger's sound a shimer and naturally tonal warmth. I have a vast mic selection but i'm open to buying gear to make this work. the only piece of gear i won't switch is the guitar.

thanks Mark

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can get a good overall sound by pointing the mic towards the 6th fret from the sound hole.

Here are some basic settings that you can try for the Acoustic Guitar:

Boost 10k Hz for more "sparkle"

Boost 5k-8k Hz for more sound of the strings

Boost 1k-3k Hz to get more of the Pick sound or attack

Boost 300-500 Hz to get more of the body

And Cut 200 Hz to remove any muddiness you may hear.

Remember to make small adjustments only as needed. Never more than 3dB changes at a time. The above guide is just to give you a starting place when you are looking for a particular sound. Every guitar is different and you will need to make adjustments that will let you fit with the rest of the band. Acoustic guitar and vocals can really clash if you go nuts here. Using the EQ can actually work to separate the two. Also, as an example, when I say boost 300-500 Hz (like in the Body sound) don't boost all those frequencies. This is just a range where you will find the frequency of the body. Experiment in that range until you find what works best.

Good Luck!

------------------

Bart Elliott

http://bartelliott.com

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Archived