Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hardware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stuthumper

hey guys.

What do u guys look for in hardware? what hardware do u use?

do u want double braced or single? light or heavy?

these are some of the questions i guess most of you ask yourself when looking for hardware.

i myself prefere double braced as opposised to single braced,u hear these horror storys of single braced stand s falling over and ruining cymbals and that,although with the one single braced stand i did have nothing ever went wrong wit it. also when i have one stand holding a 16" crash and a 12" tom i want something alittle more sturdy than a single braced stand.

i'm sure u have u own experiences and i thought this would be a good place to share ur horror storys if u have any and opinions about hardware!

At the moment i am using mostly pearl dual braced 800w series hardware,which i think is superb and just as good as dw stad at basically have the price! i also have one dixon dual braced stand which can be dodgy at times so i plan on changing it.

pedals? well i use a iron cobra power glide single pedal which i love and a pearl 800w series hi hat stand, i am planning to change both,hopefully soon i am getting either a tama iron cobra double pedal or a eliminator which either i prefere and then i will get a new hi hat stand probably the leve glide tama or the elimintor pearl model.

(oh please don't reply saying get dw,because i personally don't like dws hardware,i'm sure any of u love it but i don't i think the 5000 delta pedals are horrible but we're entitled to our own opinion.

so i'm sure u tired of reading now so,just post away

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Thumper,

I really don't think that a cymbal stand being double braced or not has as much bearing on a stand falling over as does the width of the tripod base!I have double braced hardware and have owned single braced in the past and have found no real advantage to double braced stands!

I think adjustability, a nice wide tripod, and strong locking bushing joints/tilters are the real essence of quality.

Pedals are a whole different catagory and aside from srength and adjustability it is a very personal choice of playability!

ian*

ian*

no ian i think u've got it wrong i was just explaining my experiences with hardware and what hardware i have.

i just wanted people to reply about there hardware and experiences with hardware. i don't need help with hardware i know what i like and that i love my hardware.

In general, I guess I lean more toward double braced, heavy, duty, wide based stuff. Nowadays, I think ian* is right, that the base width is more important than double bracing, and even a lot of the single braced stuff is real good.

But in my experiences from years ago, I have had stands fall over. And with OLD time hardware, I have had the legs collapse. Though I was lucky never to lose a cymbal or tom, today I just prefer to error on the side of safety and get heavy duty stuff.

I currently have stuff from Tama, Pearl, Gibralter. All the cymbal stands are heavy, double braced boom stands, as I prefer the flexibility. Plus, with 3 section stands, it's a bit easier to get 'up and over' rather than have to huddle bases in, like I'd have to do with straight stands.

It's been suggested that I should get a rack for my kit. They're certainly more practical, in terms of floor space, and possibly set-up / tear-down as well. Probably should, but probably won't. I just can't seem to 'get into the look', if anyone can relate to that. And I sorta like the 'organized chaos' that having the stands gives from the audiences. Even though I can walk right around behind the kit and plop my butt on the throne, from the front it looks like they'd have to lower me in by crane, LOL! I guess 'my look' is the same reason I picked the particular color I have, or the graphic on my reso bass head. It's just me, and makes my kit just a bit different than the next guy's.

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always have what you've always had.

You know ... what is old ... is new again.

DW just introduced a retro line of flat bottom stands. (ala 60's Ludwig)

Some other companies are jumping on that band wagon I hear.

You know ... in all the time that Louis Bellson and Buddy Rich played (as hard as they played) ... I never once remember seeing them knock a flat bottom stand over!

On the "schlep-scale" ... the light weight hardware certainly wins out.

I have yet to move away from Double braced ... and this past weekend complained and complained about how heavy my two hardware cases are! I had a self made custom rack that was small two years ago, but went back to standard hardware ... the reason ... the rack took just as long ... if not longer to set-up and tear down as the collapsible hardware!

My thoughts.,

DJ

Man, I don't know about you all, but I still have to carry my own stuff to gigs, so I go for the lightest hardware that I can get away with for the playing style... and also as many things mounted to one stand as possible, tom, cowbell and cymbal all on one stand.(I know it creates some unwanted resonances, so its not ideal for studio playing)

Heavy

j

Originally posted by jamoflage:

Man, I don't know about you all, but I still have to carry my own stuff to gigs, so I go for the lightest hardware that I can get away with for the playing style.

Man, no kidding, jamoflage. A standard 4-piece, hi-hat, ride, and two crash cymbals on single-braced stands works in just about any situation, and unless you own a Sonor, you're not likely to get a hernia lugging it around town!

Originally posted by Stu(thumper):

no ian i think u've got it wrong i was just explaining my experiences with hardware and what hardware i have.

i just wanted people to reply about there hardware and experiences with hardware. i don't need help with hardware i know what i like and that i love my hardware.

Thumper,

I really didn't mean to try to "help" you with hardware choice!

I was only saying that from my experience with cymbal stands falling over etc.. it has more to do with tripod width rather than whether it is double braced or not!

If the thickness of the tripod legs is thick enough it really doesn't improve strength much to go with double braced.This is coming from someone who "does" have double braced hardware though so...

I remember back in the day when the rivets in my older "quality" stands would break after alot of use.Alot of improvements have been made in hardware since those days!Thank goodness!

When you've toted gear in and out of clubs all over the U.S. you can appreciate the need for lightweight yet durable hardware!

Where have you been lately Stu?I haven't seen you around the Drum Tab Archive Forum lately!Check out my latest post over there,I've got something in the works!!!

ian*

This message has been edited by ian* on 09-09-2001 at 05:09 PM

ian*

• 2 weeks later...

Hardware, ugh!

I play Tama Artstar Customs(power sizes), so my drums are heavy. My hardware is horrendously heavy it seems. Ok, maybe i'm exagerating a little. I play a four piece usually and occasionally add an extra floor tom. Both toms are mounted to cymbal stands. I usually have just a one crash, a splash mounted on top of the crash, the hat, and a ride that will allow some crashing. I agree with the notion of the fewer stands the better. I love clamps!! My biggest gripe with hardware has more to do with the bolts, thumbscrews, etc. It seems like they are made with very soft alloy. This drives me crazy!!! I don't understand why they don't focus on making these vital parts better and stronger. It seems they always strip, and only at the worst times.

I have heard that Yamaha doesn't really have a problem here. Does anyone know of other companies that have done something about this?

I use Tama and Gibraltar hardware. I like the clamps and extensions so I can mount 2 or 3 things off of one stand. The stands are heavy enough to support the stuff. Gone are the days of have 10 stands for all the stuff you want to add to your set. And why add a stand for a splash when you can add a clamp and a boom to what you have.

Kev

Man, no kidding, jamoflage. A standard 4-piece, hi-hat, ride, and two crash cymbals on single-braced stands works in just about any situation, and unless you own a Sonor, you're not likely to get a hernia lugging it around town!

No kidding is right. That is why I go for the tiniest of Yamaha hardware. I love it. They flex but don't fall over (unless I *&^&* up setting up) and I bow/saw, choke, grab, spin cymbals, lean on the things, etc. OH, I play ride patterns on them also.

Small stands flexing look great. It truly is a sight to behold watching me play drums. Keep your double braced hardware boys, but flimsy is where it's at.

Archived