Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's your fave "clean" groove

rlhubley

What are some of your favorite "clean" grooves. For me when i say clean i think of Gadd on "50 Ways" or JR Robinson on "if i could change the world"

There are a ton of great grooves like this. One more for me is Jeff P on Steely Dan's "FM" DAMN that's a nice groove!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love it when drummers have the opportunity to play anything, but choose to hit a single note instead. And then when you hear it, you're knocked out by the brilliance of the understatement, and impressed by the class shown by the drummer. I'm thinking of Helmet's "Unsung" as a perfect example. It's such a sick groove, and when he just drops down that "1" on the kick, it makes me grin every time.
Just for the record.

sidereal, I love that too! One of my favorite examples of that is Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' "Change of Heart". It has a stop between 3 and 4 before each chorus, and for the first two verses Stan totally lays out with everyone else during the stop. But on the last verse, he just NAILS that 4 with the snare, and it sounds as if the universe hinges on that one snare hit (although he tosses a couple of passing 16ths in there afterward too). That's awesome.

Actually Stan has quite a few wonderful grooves... "Here Comes My Girl" and "Nightwatchman" being a couple of distinctive ones that start off the songs. I love Charlie Watts on stuff like "Honky Tonk Women" and "Beast of Burden" too.

--Lee

This message has been edited by Lee Flier on 09-06-2001 at 12:58 PM

Kikky,

Gadd is an incrdible musician. You can find him on hundreds of albums. I particularly enjoy his stuff with Paul Simon. He is extremely musical. There is a great website that offers his biography, discography, transcriptions of certain grooves, etc. Here is the link: http://www.intrepidsoftware.com/sgadd/ I hope you enjoy learning about one of the most influential and important drummers in history.

Archived