Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Footwear

Stuthumper

hey guys i'm back for the last week i been sidelined with a wrist injury but i'm better thankgod now. anyway out of curiosity what footwear do u guys wear when playing drums?

myself i where vans skate shoes,never tried anything else but i find em pefect i can do single footed 16's extremely fast with em on,tried loafers they sucked,and soaks that hurt my foot http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/frown.gif

cya

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favorites for playing are these black sort of ankle high suede boots made by a company called 'Simple.' I'm sure some of you on the East Coast know about them, or if you go into a backpacking store. Thing I like is they're stylish, extremely light, and they perfectly contour to the shape of my foot. Sort of like elf shoes. Very comfortable.

Or I wear my Vans, Adidas, or on formal gigs, leather boots (which are far from comfortable).

Keep in mind, all shoe and boot designs are made around what's called a 'last,' which is what they think of as the ideal foot shape. Different companies have different ideas of what this ideal shape is, because feet vary so much in shape and quirkiness. Try different types and figure out what company makes lasts that are most like your feet. For me it's 'Simple.' (no pun intended.... really) http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Just for the record.

This is kind of cool, because I just found some new favorite shoes to play in. I badly sprained my ankle in two places and needed some slip-ons to wear for awhile (couldn't even tie my shoes). I got some of those Nike swimmer socks with thin soles on the bottom. Wow! I'm not playing bare-footed anymore. Not the thing to wear to a casual, of course, but probably forgiveable in most other situations.

Anyone remember that big ad in Modern Drummer a few years back of Dave Weckl endorsing drumming shoes of all things? I'm not poking fun at Dave, but when I saw that I couldn't help but snicker. I think the ad ran for one month.
Just for the record.

I used to play in Vans or Nike's then I switched to these really wierd martial arts shoes that are like a tennis shoe. Very light and comfortable. The shoe has some tread but also slides on the pedal. Found them pretty cheap on the web a few years ago. Do a search under martial arts shoes. Brands to look for are Addidas, Otomix and Discipline to name a few.

Stan Lynch used to have an endorsement with Nike because he wore their shoes while playing, which I found really humorous. Never thought such a thing as a shoe endorsement for a drummer would exist, but it did in his case! He also got tank tops and jogging suits and other gear from them, whatever he could talk their rep out of.

Our drummer wears sneakers that he gets from Target for 10 bucks. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif Target rules!

--Lee

Originally posted by sidereal:

Anyone remember that big ad in Modern Drummer a few years back of Dave Weckl endorsing drumming shoes of all things? I'm not poking fun at Dave, but when I saw that I couldn't help but snicker. I think the ad ran for one month.

Vic Firth has the drumming shoes that Weckl endorsed, and they are still available to the best of my knowledge.

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Well, hurrah for this thread!

I always used to wear nice dress shoes, italian leather, etc.,etc.,

A few years back, I developed a heel spur on the bottom of my foot. After having it removed, the podiatrist offered me two options:

1) Have him make me "special shoes" for "special feet."

or

2) Wear Doc Martens!

I was shocked. I asked if he meant "the" Doc Martens. He explained that those shoes had been developed in England for Dock workers that were exposed to heavy foot use. They were designed to minimize foot stress and strain.

Althought I did not find either option great, I opted for the Docs. Boy was I surprised. I cannot wear anything else!

I now wear the ankle hi-top black leather for most of my gigs. The rubber bottoms keep my feet from slipping. Initially I thought that playing with boots would be difficult, but remembered Bozzio playing with knee high Docs.

Anyway, ankle high Docs ... that is what I use.

DJ

Archived