Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

marching band / drum corp question

sidereal

I've never been in drum corp, but an associate of mine needs to get one going to a live thing she's putting together. I know nothing about this, but I mentioned you fine folks to her, and that you're usually all very quick at responding. Can any of you drum corps freaks help me out? I'll pass on your notes to her via email.

Thanks. Here's the email she sent:

"Anyway, I wanted to ask you about marching band drums. I am doing a corporate gig, and they want a whole bunch of percussion. In addition to congas, bongos, etc., they want loud sounding drums that can be strapped on and taken out into the audience. I am trying to figure out what variety (i.e. sizes) of toms I need to get really loud sound, what kind of harness types there are, etc. (They wanted to use Blue Man Group, but it didn't work out.)"

Just for the record.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a little confused. Does she want a drum corps for her gig, or does she want percussion instruments for businessmen to play?

If she's looking for a drum corps right now, unless she lives in Indy or Concord, Calif., she's probably out of luck. Drum corps is currently out of season, with members returning home (many join corps thousands of miles away from home). Most won't begin recruiting and practicing until late October or November (and those are only warm weather corps). My suggestion is to have her call the local college band. USC sets the standard for whoring themselves out for money, but there are other bands willing to play for pay.

If she's looking for instruments ... gosh, that's a lot of equipment. I doubt any drum corps would be willing to loan the goods out without a substantial amount of money and some sort of insurance policy it will all be returned the way it was loaned. Good luck!

Thanks Gaddabout...

Sorry http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif she's in Vegas and I believe they have all the players, they just need the gear. I get the feeling they have a fairly open checkbook.

Just for the record.

Hey, Guys:

Give her my e-mail address. (nashvilledrummer@home.com)

I will hook her up with the marketing director at REMO

They make and have everything she needs. Perhaps they might consider some sponsorship of the event?

I do not know, but will be happy to point her in that direction!

Thanks,

DJ

Archived