Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your single favorite drummer is....

rlhubley

Hey, a fellow Marillion fan. Cool!

Ian Mosely's a great drummer. I love his hi-hat work and incredible sense of dynamics, not to mention those great rolls he sends down the toms. A very musical drummer, always supporting the song and also injecting his own personality.

If you like Marillion, you should check out a new band called Elbow. They have a lot of the mood of Marillion, although without the prog rock tendencies.

http://www.elbow.co.uk

Their debut import "Asleep in the Back" is available on Amazon.

Just for the record.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are the people I DON'T pick. This is going to make me alot of enemies http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif and remember this is my opinion.

Buddy Rich - Good player, I don't think hes all that great though. Not saying he isn't a fundamentally sound player and amazing soloist, I don't think hes that great in all styles of music.

Neil Peart - He follows the great innovator, not neccessarily a great player rule. I respect him, still not very amazed by his playing. But he invented alot of the standards we all use today.

Ok, I almost picked these guys...

Peter Erskine - great feel. His stuff with weather report is great.

Bill Bruford - innovative...

Vinnie Caliouta - WOW what am I going to say? WOW

Stewart Copeland - GREAT technique. GREAT originality. GREAT chops. He invented this splash cymbal stuff, sticking stuff, great playing...

My pick is Manu Katche. The guy is insane, having amazing chops and feel like noone I've ever heard. Great player...

MANU KATCHE!!! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

IM onegreyneed

Email onegreyneed@yahoo.com

IM onegreyneed

Email onegreyneed@yahoo.com

Hate to pick on the new guy, but since DAN* doesn't practice...well, I think he should start LOL...Stewart and Manu over Buddy and Neil...No way...never. I'm not too hip on my weather report stuff, but Steve Smith and Dom Famularo could hold their own against a whole lot of cats as well.

And Vinnie is great, but I have seen him blow the groove live before...sorry...we all got into a big discussion about that 3 months ago.

Just something about what buddy and neil did to their respective genre's at the time they did it and the attitude in their playing that made the meaning of the notes trancend their actual values.

Just my two cents.

From felix stein: "Just something about what buddy and neil did to their respective genre's at the time they did it and the attitude in their playing that made the meaning of the notes trancend their actual values."

LOL, Perfectly said felix! 'Cept, now I have to go dig out my old EST and Dianetics books and find out what the heck it means! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

This message has been edited by ModernDrummer on 09-26-2001 at 08:01 AM

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always have what you've always had.

I see that nobody mentioned Joe Morello so I'd like to throw him in there. Impecable technique, His sound was always great, in fact for me he defines what drums should sound like, and there is still no one who flows through odd time signatures as smoothly. Another thing that strikes me is that he was always implying a melody...so he seemed VERY musical!! Recently picked up a recording made in 1961/62 and can't believe how good his drums sound!!!

------------------

MH

MH

Admittedly I'm a bass player, not a drummer, but my favourite has got to be Billy Cobham. His playing in the Mahavishnu Orchestra and on his solo stuff is just awesome. I'd have him in my band any day! :-)

Alex

------------------

C.Alexander Claber

Chief Groove Guru V.P. i/c Funk

spiderplant.net/alex

• 4 weeks later...

Archived