Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Some Q's for a beginner

KikkyMonk

I was suppost to have my first drum set lesson today but the teacher flaked on me. I marched center snare in high school and played orchestral percussion but never attemped set. Well now is the time and I have a nice pretty set in my living room but don't really want to get into it too much for fear of developing some nasty habit or playing something wrong and hurting my wrists or feet. Well now I can't take it much longer. The main thing I can't quite get down is the kick drum motion. If I play with my heel down on the floor my shin starts to burn but if I play with my heel up my hip joint starts to hurt. Maybe I need to raise or lower the seat? I can't quite get a good grasp on it... any ideas?

Dave

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, Dave:

Great question. You are wise with your concerns, but do not be too anal about it. If you went ahead and jammed around for a week or two, and then started lessons ... chances are you will not have any permanent habits that cannot be corrected.

There are some previous threads regarding Heel-up vs. Heel-down. In the preference menu at the top of the forum, set your topic bar to show all topics (verses the default ... which is the last 60 days).

You should then be able to find the said thread.

I also think you should analyse your seat height. You should be sitting comfotably with your thighs almost completely horizontal with the floor. The main objective is to have good balance. You want to feel like you are playing comfortably. ( not a feeling of falling off the throne!)

Try this and see if this helps.

Let us know. And above all, find out why the teacher flaked on you. If he offers a lame excuse ... cat had diarrhea, .. or had to clean his sock drawer ... FIND ANOTHER TEACHER!

Keep us posted!

Thanks,

DJ

Another avenue you could try is to pick up some good drum videos. One that comes to mind would be Dave Weckl's first instructional video. He had some nice stuff on foot pedal technique.

We've had some discussion on this in the past; try searching the archives here at MusicPlayer.com. Be sure to go back at least 60 days.

I've got some stuff on pedal technique on my web site in the Tips section of my Lesson pages. http://bartelliott.com/lessons/ Check it out if you feel like it.

------------------

Bart Elliott

http://bartelliott.com

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Technique will come with time!For now it kinda sounds to me as if you need to get into shape!Having never played a kit before you'll be working muscles you didn't even know you had!No pain no gain, I think is what they say!hehehe Like the guys said adjust your throne and kit until you are as comfortable as possible and work it!You'll find as you progress more logical ways to adjust your kit that suit your style of play!

Welcome to the other side of drumming! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

ian*

ian*

Try two things with regard to your kick pedal. Loosen off the spring tension and practice doubles and triplets on the kick, concentrating on using the rebound as much as possible and releasing all tension from your leg/ankle. This should help train your leg muscles to utilize the rebound a little more.

Also, you may be sitting too close to the kick drum. The angle at your knee should ideally be 90 degrees, but this varies from person to person. I have very stiff joints and long legs, so sit a bit further away from the kick to reduce the angle of my ankle. I also set the throne high because it helps me keep my back straight (I have a bad back, old fart you see), which helps the overall balance of my playing. Some people prefer lower throne heights etc. I saw a drummer the other day with his knees around his ears he had the throne so low, and he was a 'pro'!(King Adora drummer I think, he also sets his kit sideways on the stage.)

Regarding lessons, I see no harm in joining a band and 'messing around' for a while before taking lessons. You already know about rhythm so a few months kickin' around on a set will give you a better idea of what you want to learn. Only my 2 cents. Good luck.

Yeah Ive been in the same band for 3 years now but switched to drums from upright a few weeks ago. I am going to practice with the band but it will take me some time to get where I am playable... actually right now I'm not doing too bad but I really want to get good so Im trying to go about things the right way. Ill try those things you guys suggested of me. Thanks for helping me with my Q's

Dave

Archived