Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

best drum pre amps and Compressors?

selloutrr

say you have the mics, the stereo AKG, the EV the shure 57's and even a great room that leaves the fullness of the drums natural warmth but dampens the wash from the cymbals. Now the only thing standing in the way of capturing the perfect drum sound on tape ( 2" analog ) is your mics still sound flat and lifeless... I know i need to use pre amps I have 2 channels of dbx 562 tube but i like those channels more for guitar and solos what pre amps do you recommend for the drums? I would rather save and get the professional equipment then buy a bargon piece and have to up grade later on.

thanks Mark

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ideally, you'd have some quality 16-channel console of some kind. The difficult thing is getting multichannel drums tracked to tape with real quality. I mean, you're talking up to 8-10 inputs for a full kit. You could get a Mackie, but that's very average on sound. Still, many major label releases are done with Mackies. A Neve console would be beautiful and you don't necessarily need to sell the farm to get the pres in a Neve. They make a 16-channel broadcast variety. Or you could just rack up several Neve mic pres and you'll be smokin'.

There's so many quality options for pres depending on how much you want to spend... ART, Manley and Neves are all great for drums. The Focusrite Red 1 is a 4-channel pre. You could stack two of those. They're beautiful and have a nice clean sound to complement the fat tube/tape combination. Simon Phillips tracks drums with Red 1's.

A budget option is the Presonus DigiMax with 8 discrete non-transformer based pres. A nice lower cost unit. Built-in limiters on each channel.

It all depends on how much you want to spend. This is a big subject. The key thing is to know what you're doing. You could make gravy out of pond water if you have the knowledge and/or an engineer who knows what he's doing. Don't forget the essentials of learning a room and proper mic placement.

Ay yi yi.... I'll shut up now.

This message has been edited by sidereal on 08-27-2001 at 11:04 PM

Just for the record.

if you have a small room try to pad the reflections as much as you can and then some times two. tune your bass drum according to your play back. listening to bass drum on play back. tune till your satisfied. where you put the mic is going to make the sound right not the pre amp. does that make sense? all this equipment that is for sale is not the answer. bass drum, snare, and over head or over heads maybe hi hats. thats the the least amount of mics you can use to get the sound you want.do you know how to keep the the mics in phase? the phase issue is paramount. one mic at a time. when mics are out of phase they sound thin, or flat. the more mics you use the more phase problems you will have. bill

Archived