Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Q. on sticks

Gaddabout

I've been a faithful Vic Firth user for a long time. The Steve Gadd sticks and the Dave Weckl sticks always felt good, and no surprise considering my corps background. I've never broken a Weckl stick, and can use them as long as the beads maintain their finish, which is about six months in most cases.

Now that I have made a drastic change in my grip and stroke (to Moeller), I'm finding neither of these sticks suits my needs. I've tried a few, but nothing really seems to feel comfortable. I'm terrified of all this, because it's a lot like playing a big gig with a different bass drum pedal -- like losing an old friend.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I think I'd like a stick with the balance of the Weckl, but a little bit longer. I play traditional grip, and my left hand is near the middle of the stick now.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, Gaddaboutit:

Try the Vic Firth F1. You will not find this stick at most shops. It is a round bead wood tip stick with a slightly longer lenght than the other two you are used to using.

I love this stick!

Try your local Mars Music, or Specialty Drum Shop.

DJ

I compared my 5As to this F1 you mentioned at the Vic Firth site. This looks about right. It's 3/16" longer, and slightly fatter, with more taper at the tip and medium round tip.

You're right about not seeing these anywhere. I think I would've already bought some if I had. I don't think there's a Mars Music in my city, so I'll probably have to buy some online.

Thanks for the, um ... tip. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Vater Fusion sticks are a nice general purpose stick. I played them for a couple of years, but switched the Smitty's Power Fusion. I wanted the same balance and bead style, but a little fatter diameter, these do the trick.

Originally posted by felix stein:

Dave Wecks are great sticks, especially for the stuff you seem to dig.

They felt right to me after I finally put down the 3S Slingerlands. Some sticks had the right length, but they were too light. Other sticks had the right weight, but they weren't balanced. When I changed my left-hand fulcrum and moved it toward the middle of the stick, it became obvious I needed a slightly longer stick. I also want something with round bead for better rebound.

The Gadd's are a little toothpicky for my taste.

I can't imagine using them with my new stroke, but they had served me well in small jazz combos. For a shorter stick, they have exceptional bounce and balance. Of course, I would spend half of the next day getting that black crap off my cymbals.

Archived