Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Philly Musicplayer hang?

Calling all Philly/NJ/NYC/Baltimore etc. forum dwellers: So, it turns out that I am going to be in the lovely city of Philadelphia from September 4-8. Would any of you in the area like to try and put some sort of a group thing together? Could be fun... ;) :D :thu: dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dave, sounds great! I'm sure Curve and Ed would find some time and so will I. Keep us posted. Jason

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

Let's do it. Don't forget us longhaired galoots. Where we doing this thing?

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

[quote]Originally posted by CMDN: [b]Let's do it. Don't forget us longhaired galoots. Where we doing this thing?[/b][/quote]I didn't knw we had longhaired galoots here in Philly. Just "doods" and "Iggles" fans...

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

[quote]Originally posted by Curve Dominant: [b]Yo, if yous want I'll book us a table at Zanzibar Blue for that night. Lemme take a walk over there and find out who's playing that night. Good call for Thursday, Dave. Downtown gets a kinda saturated on the weekends, if you know what I mean.[/b][/quote]Zanaibar Blue is cool ... WarmDaddy's is pretty cool too.
I really don't know what to put here.

[quote]Originally posted by Curve Dominant: [b]Yo, if yous want I'll book us a table at Zanzibar Blue for that night. Lemme take a walk over there and find out who's playing that night.[/b][/quote]Sound like a good plan. I've actually never been there. :o [quote][b]Good call for Thursday, Dave. Downtown gets a kinda saturated on the weekends, if you know what I mean.[/b][/quote]Yep. Weekends = amateur night...nome sayn? ;) I always preferred going out on Thursdays... dB

Yeah... we got longhaired galoots here. Not many, but a few. There are more Iggles and Doods though.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Good news: Plan B with Brenda Smith performs at ZB on Thursday nights in September. Brenda is easily one of Philly's best jazz singers...kinda leans towards R&B a little too. Real soulful, authentic bluesy jazz vocalist (as opposed to the Diana Krall variety). The dealio on Zanzibar Blue: a jazz club/restaurant in The Belleview Hotel at Broad & Walnut Streets, two blocks south of City Hall. Classy but not stuffy, good food on an international cuisine tip, not cheap but not exhorbitant either. Cool place, something of a local legend. Everybody good with that?

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

Hey Curve, Off Topic for a sec... (And all the rest of you Philly dudes...) I was over on Ben Franklin Pkwy yesterday, getting sunburnt :eek: . There was a very, very good five piece band (drum, bass, rhodes, sax, 'pet) working with three vocals (two girls, one guy)...whose name elude me. I hear they're local. Keith Sweat and Dave Hollister just made my ears hurt. Holler back at us and let us know how it goes.

Dang - that sure got organized fast. Man, I miss the way things get done in Philly... ;) So, then: 9/5/02 Zanzibar Blue Time - TBD (Early start? Leisurely meal? 6PM drinks, 7PM dinner, maybe? Curve, when does the band start playing?) Attending so far: dB MusicWorkz Curve CMDN Sylver LarsHarner Ed Hamilton (maybe) Any others? dB

[quote]posted by Dave Bryce: [b]So, then: 9/5/02 Zanzibar Blue Time - TBD (Early start? Leisurely meal? 6PM drinks, 7PM dinner, maybe? Curve, when does the band start playing?)[/b][/quote]Usually the live music kicks off at 9pm at ZB (I'll double check that tomorrow). So let's make it early, say 7pm call-time. That way we'll have time to talk shop over eats and drinks, and then hang for the first set. Then if anyone's up for some serious bar-crawling, Bar Noir is a good candidate, as is Alma De Cuba, both within walking distance of ZB. Chris' Jazz Cafe is right around the corner. There are literally dozens of cool spots we can go hang at within walking distance of ZB. It's downtown Philly, nome sayn? As the date approaches, I'll get the after-hours lowdown on downtown happenings. [quote][b]Dang - that sure got organized fast. Man, I miss the way things get done in Philly...[/b][/quote]Yo, in one day and less than one page of thread, we got the date, time and venue nailed down. That has to be a record for a MP gathering. See you all in a couple of weeks.

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

[quote]Originally posted by Dave Bryce: [b] So, then: 9/5/02 Zanzibar Blue Time - TBD (Early start? Leisurely meal? 6PM drinks, 7PM dinner, maybe? Curve, when does the band start playing?) [/b][/quote]... and a night cap a Delilah's Den? :eek:

I'm tempted to make the jaunt across state to meet some of you fella's. I've been fighting to hang on to a foot all year and don't travel well. The 5-6 hour drive would leave me bad company I fear and I'd probably have to get so jacked up on pain killers after I made the drive I'd be the one sleeping face down in his plate of dinner. ;) Maybe next time.

William F. Turner

Songwriter

turnersongs

Sometimes the truth is rude...

tough shit... get used to it.

An update... The first live set at ZB starts at 8pm. So let's make it a 6pm call-time at the bar, with a 7pm dinner table reservation. That should give us all enough time to talk shop (and chow) before the set starts. Everyone cool with that? I'll make a tentative reservation for 8 people, but let's see a show of hands anyway. Chime in y'all... PS: DB, do we want to cross-post this on GM's forum? If so, I'll let you do the honors.

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

[quote]Originally posted by Curve Dominant: [b]The first live set at ZB starts at 8pm. So let's make it a 6pm call-time at the bar, with a 7pm dinner table reservation. That should give us all enough time to talk shop (and chow) before the set starts. Everyone cool with that?.[/b][/quote]Works for me... [quote][b]PS: DB, do we want to cross-post this on GM's forum? If so, I'll let you do the honors.[/b][/quote]Okay. dB

[quote]Originally posted by Curve Dominant: [b]An update... The first live set at ZB starts at 8pm. So let's make it a 6pm call-time at the bar, with a 7pm dinner table reservation. That should give us all enough time to talk shop (and chow) before the set starts. Everyone cool with that? I'll make a tentative reservation for 8 people, but let's see a show of hands anyway. Chime in y'all... [/b][/quote]Sounds good to me. I looking forward to meeting you all. I think we should keep bumping this thread, though, I know there are more Philly area people who haven't chimed in yet ... Dan South ... Eric Worthington ... of course we may have met the Eric quota ...

[quote]Originally posted by NYC Drew: [b]Hey Curve, Off Topic for a sec... (And all the rest of you Philly dudes...) I was over on Ben Franklin Pkwy yesterday, getting sunburnt :eek: . There was a very, very good five piece band (drum, bass, rhodes, sax, 'pet) working with three vocals (two girls, one guy)...whose name elude me. I hear they're local. Keith Sweat and Dave Hollister just made my ears hurt. Holler back at us and let us know how it goes.[/b][/quote]So you were down for Unity Day? I was out there, but I was over by the Gospel stage. I do know a group called 'Kindred' was on the R&B stage, but I am not sure when they went on.

[quote]Originally posted by David Abraham Fenton: [b]hey Jason are you playing any instruments on that Gerald Pierce album? -david abraham[/b][/quote]Dave, Yep, a lil bit. I did the strings on Thank You (and the reprise) and on the lead single "Touch Me Once Again". I did most of the sound programming for the CD as well. Jason

[quote]Originally posted by Curve Dominant: [b]An update... The first live set at ZB starts at 8pm. So let's make it a 6pm call-time at the bar, with a 7pm dinner table reservation. That should give us all enough time to talk shop (and chow) before the set starts. Everyone cool with that? I'll make a tentative reservation for 8 people, but let's see a show of hands anyway. Chime in y'all... PS: DB, do we want to cross-post this on GM's forum? If so, I'll let you do the honors.[/b][/quote]Curve, great work. That works for me...

Archived