Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Face it!! Drumming is loud ... how do you appease you family, friends and neighbors?

djarrett

Drumming just has one huge downside ... and that is volume! How do you deal with your family, friends and neighbors. You want them to support you ... and if they love you ... they will ... and at the same time ... you do not want to totally piss them off. What is your solution?

DJ

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I bought a digital set just so I wouldn't have that problem http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif but, remembering the days of being in a punk band, practicing in our drummer's mom's dining room, I think the best course is good dialog with the neighbors. Limiting solo drum practice to the afternoon/weekends, band practice to never to exceed 10:00pm, give them your phone for when it gets too much, can go a long way towards peace with the neighborhood.

Bob

This message has been edited by lockbody on 08-15-2001 at 04:39 PM

Originally posted by djarrett:

Drumming just has one huge downside ... and that is volume!

That's a downside? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

SOME of us happen to LOVE loud drums!

Whenever our drummer is warming up I pretend to give him grief about it: "Stop making all that racket!" And he'll go, "But it's my job!"

Of course, he knows I love it! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

As for the neighbors, I have pretty decent soundproofing in my basement and we haven't gotten any complaints. But I say anybody who doesn't like loud drums is a big wimp!

--Lee

My neighborhood has the houses real close together, just a driveway separating them. I fortunately have never had any complaints. I just keep a good relationship with the neighbors close to me, and some common sense. I practice in the basement, towards the backyard. Keep the windows closed, no playing after 10 pm, and never too early. I've also cut the sound down a bit with carpeting on the floor, and I insulated my ceiling rafters. Nothing fancy or expensive, but it helps. Also, don't be afraid to tell the bass player to keep it down! It's always the bass players!!

I'm very lucky to work for a company with a warehouse that we are able to use on weeknights and weekends for as long as we wish. I am able to set my drums up and leave them. We have rack space to store the rest of the band equipment. The place is locked up and has a security system, so we're good to go.

In bands of the past when I didn't work here, I called people I knew who had or worked for companies with warehouses. It's surprising how many will let you in to play or practice if you just ask. I have a friend who walked through a business park going from place to place to look for space to rent for rehersals. He found a place that would let them reherse and store their equipment if they would play for the company picnic and christmas party every year.

Check with storage locker companies. More than a few bands practice in them. You frequently have to remember local sound laws. If you find one out of town a little bit, this might not be so much of a problem.

I can't complain, but sometimes I still do... --Joe Walsh

My house is an over & under style duplex. We live in the bottom & rent out the top half. However a few years back we stole one room from upstairs for ourselves in order to have 3 bedrooms & we access it with a spiral staircase. That upstairs room is now my office/drum room, and my band never practices at my house.

I work from 7am - 4pm, so my tenant is not home when I get home, so that's my usual practice time. I keep a lookout for him & quit when he get's home cause this room shares two walls with his living area. He is the only one I take into consideration, cause my family doesn't mind my playing at all. As far as the neighbors.....well, I only have them on each side of my house. There's a private school across the street from the front of the house and takes up the whole block on that side, and the houses behind me on the next street are businesses. So the noise from 4:30 to 6:00ish after work doesn't really cause a problem for any of them. Besides with all the noise my neighbors generate at any time of day & night that I have to put up with, then I could really care less if they like my noise or not. You see, both sides of me are rental houses/apartments with multiple families, so my drumming is nothing compared to the screaming/yelling/parties/whatever that I have to put up with.

The band practices 3 blocks away from my house. A friend of mine has a house he rents for his business. He does estate sales, etc. & he has one big room towards the back of the house that he lets us use whenever we practice. We always practice during the day on weekends, usually up to 8:00pm latest, so we never have any problems with his neighbors. So all in all, it's a pretty good deal.

Archived