Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pros and cons on Roto Toms

serpico3

Hello again fellow Drummers , I need to hear ther pros and cons on Remo Roto Toms , I'm debating on getting a whole series from 6 to 18 I had 2 sets in the pass they were only 6,8,10 and back then used in disco Junk . So I'm really interested to hear good and bad on them ,. A NOTE recently my student showed me his kit . I couldn't believe it , It was a Pearl set with the Toms like roto toms so you can open and closed them in their shell I never saw anything like this before he told me there from the 70's can anyone shed some light on these for me, I'm not interested in buying them just want to know when, how and why about them Ok peace ......serpico3

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, Serpico:

The drums you speak of were made by Pearl in the late 1970's ... early 1980's.

They were Fiberglass shell drums and the Remo Roto-Tom frames were mounted at the top of the shells. This way, you sould re-tune your drums in a moment. These drums, unfortunately ... or fortunately ... depending on your thoughts about the concept ... did not go over very well. It was an idea that was too far ahead of its time!!

DJ

Hey DJ You gotta Hear This , I wish you could see it , and What I'm telling you is the absolute truth, I was looking at this students kit. and he also has and dig this a Floor Tom Like their Free Floating Snare combined with this Roto Tom Head but with a pedal on the floor , not like a cocktail Drum reversed upside down pedal , but a pedal that has a rod attached to several rods inside the shell to draw down the head like a timpanni Drum to adjust the pitch . Man when did Pearl come up with this contraption , Please I gotta know ...........serpico3

Hey, Sidereal:

Bozzio never used Pearls contraption. I will call Pearl tomorrow to find out the name of this kit ... I have only ever seen one of these and that was back in 1985 in Tampa Florida when I sold drums at Paragon Percussion.

That particular kit was YELLOW!!

Bozzio did use all Roto Toms, but they were the true "shell-less" rotos.

I think I will pull out an old Modern Drummer or two and see if I can identify this kits name (what Pearl called it).

Yes serpico ... Pearl did come up with this tunable floor tom. It was a rather ingenius contraption! As stated earlier ... these drums were just too far ahead of their time to be accepted (like the Tucker automobile!)

I will let you know more when I finish my research!

DJ

The are a quite a number of timpani solos, percussion solos and classical orchestral pieces that incorporate the RotoToms. The large RotoToms can be treated like timpani as well. The pedal mechanism makes them even more capatible with timpani.

I can remember practicing my timpani excerpts on RotoToms when I didn't have access to "real" timpani. I think the largest size was an 18 inch drum ... maybe a 20 inch, can't remember.

------------------

Bart Elliott

http://bartelliott.com

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Don't care for the smaller sized rotos but the larger ones can sound interesting. Still use a kit on occasion with 12-14-16-18.

The larger ones fitted with timpani heads and played with mallots can do a decent timpani impression.

------------------

MH

MH

Archived