Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pure Funk

serpico3

Fellow Drummers , I'm interested to see whom you feel is the Funkest Drummer, I Like Kenwood Dennard of Maceo Parkers Live from the Planet Grove Cd But I can go back to the Philly Sound , Motown , La, NY, Greats as Sandy McKee of Cold Blood , Dave Garibaldi Tower of Power, Harvey Mason did a Monster cut with Quincy Jones in " I Heard That" Danny Seraphine of Chicago , Buddy Miles, Electic Flagg, Willie Green of Neville Bros , Bobby Columby of BS&T of which I attest change the whole jaundra of Jazz Rock I can mention many More . Please tell me some new Drummers to listen to , I'm always interested to hear new stuff..........serpico3

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For pure Funk I think Zorro really lays it down as good as anyone.

Dennis Chambers played a heavy stank funk that is amongst the greatest.

Don't laugh but I think Phil Collins got really funky but it was on progressive Jazz stuff with Brand X.

Stevie Wonder's groove on "Superstition" just feels too good.

Greg Errico from Sly and the Family Stone was amazing.

So many others...

Me.

no, kidding... I'd have to place Clyde Stubblefield at the top of the list.

btw, don't nobody go dissing Phil Collins now. I swear, the bad rap this guy gets just cause he's a cheezy songwriter. The dude can play the drums.... he was one of my biggest all time influences.

Just for the record.

I like a lot of the drummers you have mentioned, but there's always one drummer in the back of my mind when I think of funk. I grew up in a home where the radio was not allowed, so it was either gospel or big band. I grew up listening to Andrae Crouch, and he had this drummer named Bill Maxwell who could go deeeep in the pocket. He played drums on a very popular gospel tune called "Soon and Very Soon," which launched me into my interest of the drums. Tons of records with Buddy Rich in my father's collection, but it was no-chops Maxwell that first caught my ear. He was so funky on that song I got butterflies in my stomach.

these are all great drummers. However, the funkiest, greasiest sounding drummer i have ever heard is Zigaboo Modeliste of the Meters. I'm sure you are all aware of him. He is incredible. Tons of linear drumming that just makes you groove. He is one bad cat!

He played drums on a very popular gospel tune called "Soon and Very Soon," which launched me into my interest of the drums

I have that album (on vinyl)...I grew up on Andrae Crouch too...Bill Maxwell is excellent.

This message has been edited by Steve LeBlanc on 08-13-2001 at 12:28 PM

Wow what can I say , you guys are great Thanks ever so much for all your replys , to Steve Right on I just recently attended a Drum seminar with Zorro were he did his history of Rhythum and Funk He was Smokin, And yes of course Dennis Chambers , The rest of you guys gave me a real challenge to find material by Bill Maxwell and Zigabo Believe it or not I never heard of either of them , shows how much I get out.Alright Thanks alot again Hey anyone else keepem comming, let me know who else is out there . Peace serpico3

Archived