Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Whats a cheese?

KikkyMonk

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kikky Monk ... that is a new one on me ...

Perhaps someone can help us out.

We used to call guys that weren't so good "lizards" ... I do not know if this was a regional term or not.

Perhaps your cheese was a regional term?

DJ

A cheese can be directly associated with a ham in my book...a ham being slightly more desirable in character.

A cheese ball is also a phrase I have heard. Someone that spins their sticks during the cowbell intro into "Gimme 3 Steps" would be a cheese ball.

It's not a rudiment, unless PAS next year desides to coin #41.

I believe cheese is a certain kind of lick. I've heard other drum corps geeks talk about it. There are all kinds of nicknames for complicated rudiment combos. In one solo I once put together, I put drags on my flams in an extended flam accent passage. I called them flittles, and I don't know why ... I guess I first heard someone else use it first.

It's a Drum Corp rudiment term, but I don't remember exactly what is played. I'll see if I can jog my memory and get back to you.

Now if you need to know what CHEESEY is ... I can definitely help you with that! For examples, trying picking up a CD from one of the following artists: John Tesh, Yawny (couldn't resist the spelling on that one ... LOL) or Kenny G. I've always been surprised that these cats never got together and started a band. The could call it Cheese Whiz. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/tongue.gif

------------------

Bart Elliott

http://bartelliott.com

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

So instead of playing one grace note there are two? Hrm gotta try that one... Any other wierd things not listen in the PAS rudiements page? I know that a herta is a 32nd note thingy (I can play them but I cant describe it all too well) Anywho thanks

Dave

Originally posted by KikkyMonk:

Any other wierd things not listen in the PAS rudiements page?

The base rudiments are just that, a starting point. Once you own them, you can start combining ideas for complex phrasings. For example, start putting flams on all your tap rolls. Flams everywhere. Drags and diddles everywhere.

Just so there's no confusion think of it like this.....play flam accent's (triplet pattern).....now all your going to do to "cheese" it is put diddles on the accents....I'll try to post a visual later today.

Donnie

1 post with KikkyMonk asking what sort of a combo rudiment a 'cheese' is and 10 posts with you guys discussing it and finally figuring it out...

Behold, the power of Cheese...

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always have what you've always had.

Here's a little example of a "cheese".

A standard Flamadiddle with the "cheese" which diddles the first stroke of the Paradiddle ... not the Flam.

http://bartelliott.com/lessons/images/cheese.gif

This isn't really new. I have snare drum exercises hand written by Elden "Buster" Bailey (Juilliard School of Music / New York Philharmonic) that are at least three decades old. Got these from my teacher John Kasica (St. Louis Conservatory of Music / St. Louis Symphony Orchestra).

------------------

Bart Elliott

http://bartelliott.com

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

I used to be bigtime into drum corp marching stuff, wrote cadences, etc.

On a side note, "flam drags" are quite similar (and sound cooler), except that you diddle the SECOND note after the flam. lR LL R rL RR L

Then there are flam'ed fives, which are both combined: lRR LL R rLL RR L

Ahhh, memories.

Archived