Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Vinnie Colaiuta album suggestions

rlhubley

Are you all very familiar with this guy? I have 2 album suggestions. The Baked Potato with Greg Mathieson, Abe Laboriel, Mike Landau, and Vinnie. This was recorded over 3 nights with the exact same set list every night. No overdubs, no fixes, no rehearsals. I was actually there one night. This is an incredible album!

The other one is Karizma, Document. It is with MikE Landau, Neil Stubenhaus, david Garfield, and Vinnie. This is also a phenomenal album.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, rlhubley:

In these forums ... it is not possible to ascertain if someone is being facetious or not ... so ... I have to assume you are serious with your question with regards to Vinnie Colaiuta.

Vinnie is a drum icon who has performed with:

Los Lobotomys

Frank Zappa

Bill Evans

Mark Egan

Tim Lefebvre

Lee Ritenour

Herbie Hancock

John Patitucci

David Goldblatt

and

Sting

... and many more.

You can find more at: www.vinniecolaiuta.com

As far as you ... Sidereal ... HA!!

DJ

GUYS, you both misunderstood my post. I am a huge fan of vinnie. I bet that there are some drummers here who have heard and read a lot about vinnie, but haven't really been exposed. That was my case until about 3 or 4 years ago. now, he is definitely one of my favorites. I thought we could do the people who aren't very familiar with him a favor, and show them some albums to check out.

Plus, i really thought it would be interesting to discuss some of his work. I know i'd be interested in hearing what other people think, or maybe be pointed toward something i'm unaware of. Let's keep in mind how big his discograpy is. Surely there's tons of cool stuff out there that that we're not all aware of!

I think it's safe to say that Vinny is generally considered the best and most highly respected drummer in the business today. I doubt anyone here is unfamiliar with the contributions he's made to the world of drumming. But if you want to discuss the merits of his work, by all means that's a valid subject. I don't even know where to begin... he makes me mad sometimes he's so damn unbelievable. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif
Just for the record.

I've heard the live at the baked potato album. I think it's pretty good and has some unreal drumming on it. I'm not a huge fan of the keyboards on that record though, and God forgive me, I don't think Abe's bass sounds that good either. I love the guitar and the drums though. Vinnie's got some stuff on there that just makes me shake my head. Like some of his fills on the first two tracks of the second disk...whoa...

It's fun to hear his live stuff 'cause he does all of those things that he has too much taste to do in the studio. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif I've heard several live recordings with Sting where he's just off the hook. Makes me laugh.

Another recording you should check out is Vinnie with the Randy Waldman trio on a disk called Wigged Out. Randy took a bunch of classical pieces and arranged them for jazz combo/big band. It's much cooler than it sounds, but it's basically straight ahead jazz styles as opposed to the fusion rock thing he does with karisma. He's got a solo on that disk on the arrangement of "Flight of the Valkaries" that is UNREAL. It's in seven or something. He blows my mind.

~clockwirk~

I actually downloaded that from audiogalaxy and plan to buy it next month. That is a badass solo, the time is in 4 the whole time, but Vinnie being Vinnie, he superimposes many different signatures. A lot of it is over the barline stuff. Over the barline kicks ass, and is fun as hell to play!

As for the Baked Potato keys, i understand. I don't mind what he plays, it actually rocks. But maybe a different tone would've helped. I hear a Hammond, but then again, everybody's using those these days!

Half the time I hear Vinnie play, I want to run to my kit and practice. The other half, I want to quit the drums and pick up an instrument someone hasn't already mastered.

Maybe I'm the only guy that digs the music, but I thought Vinnie's playing on Patitucci's self-titled disc and "Sketchbook" was untouchable. Also loved what he did with Jeff Beal.

I know exactlly what you mean. I get that same feeling when i hear Tony Royster, or one of those kids! Damn it's cool, but damn it's frustrating! I don't have those albums, but definitely will check them out. Another 2 albums that haven't been mentioned are Sting's Ten Summoner's Tales, and Vinnie's solo album. The first track "Attack of the 20lb Pizza" is insane!!!

Archived