Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DJ - Suncoast Sound

Gaddabout

When you say you marched for Suncoast Sound in the early 80s, how early? I've always appreciated the quality of their shows, even if I didn't always dig the choice of music. But the one Suncoast Sound moment forever stuck in my head was watching the bass drum line take front position and run off about four measures of 32nd notes up and down the line. Were you apart of that?

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Gaddaboutit:

I was in the 83 season. This was the Time-out opener, Aquarius, Greatest Love of All era. The next was the Vietnam War show.

We finished 5th and 6th. (even beat Madison in Prelims in 83!)

Most people do not realize that the current America that is played at the end of each Drum Corps show came out of the America/Can't Get No Satisfaction Closer for the 1984 show. Robert Smith was the arranger for that morphed version of America/Oh Canada.

The bass drums you refer to were in the 1986 season.

When I was growing up, I had a best friend that was in my high school drum line. We grew up drumming together. Sheryl Rand is her name. She was like a sister to me. She marched the Snare line in Suncoast (one of the first girls to march a Top 12 snare line!) and I was in the Tenor line.

Sheryl stayed at Suncoast Sound after I left and was the instructor for the bass drum line of which you speak! I think she did an awesome job. That bass drum line of that year is still considered by many Drum Corps afficianados as the best in Drum Corps history.

Thanks for askin'

DJ

Archived