Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DCI Finals 2001 -- This Weekend.

djarrett

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was in drum corps back in the late 70's eairly 80's. I went to the DCI last year here in Maryland. Went every day. Man I wish I could go this year. Never in your life can you see such incredible drumming. There's nothing that even comes close. They need to have it here every year damn it!!!!!!

Hey, Mobits ... and all:

This year the Finals are in Rochester NY.

BUT ...

Next year it is back in Madison Wisconsin for the 30th Anniversary celebration!

We should all go and sit in a section together!!

DJ

Hey, I'm up for a roadtrip next year. I would love to re-visit that stadium. I could also get some cool Green-Bay stuff while i'm in Wisconsin. Hard to find that here in Dallas, TX.

I case you didn't see the prelims score, CAVAIES was first!!!!!!

Drumtrav

GO PACKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drumtrav

Well the results are in ...

DRUMTRAV CLOSE YOUR EYES!!!

Cavies won score 98.35

Cadets and Blue Devils Tied for 2nd

(new rule this year ... no ties for first place ever again. But can still tie for second ... looks like!) Scored 97.60

Santa Clara Vangaurd was 4th Score 95.35

Glassmen 5th Score 94.30

Phantom Reg. 6th Score 91.90

Crossman 7th Score 91.15

BlueCoats 8th Score 90.75

Boston Crusaders 9th Score 88.80

Carolina Crown 10th Score 86.95

Madison 11th Score 86.55

Colts 12th Score 84.90

Interesting that the only flip flop from Prelims was the tie (of course) and Madison slipping one place and Crown gaining. The fans were NOT happy about this change! (much less not happy about Madison being so far down in the ranks)

Another interesting story. Last year Spirit of Atlanta which at one time was one of my favorite corps and were a powerhouse in 1980 and 81 !!

Almost folded last year. The city of Atlanta apparently were not standing behind them any more or some typical lack of support story that plagues drum corps. They went on a search for a new location.

They have become the first Drum Corps in history to be affiliated with a higher learning institution. They are now a part of the Music Academic Department of the Jacksonville State University. They are supported for tour by the University and they are the Marching Ensemble for the University (yet a drum corps!) All the kids get a full college credit for marching the summer!! That is phenomenal in my opinion. They are no longer Spirit of Atlanta and now are the Spirit of JSU. They landed in 13th place for Prelims. Not bad for their first year back out!!

Now ... it is back to looking towards Blast! and next year.

Thanks,

DJ

Another interesting story. Last year Spirit of Atlanta which at one time was one of my favorite corps and were a powerhouse in 1980 and 81 !!

Almost folded last year. The city of Atlanta apparently were not standing behind them any more or some typical lack of support story that plagues drum corps. They went on a search for a new location.

I'm a pig, I know that, but I always wanted to march with Spirit of Atlanta because I thought the ladies in their color guard were hot. In fact, their presence convinced me that all-male corps like Phantom Regiment were woefully out-dated! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

This message has been edited by Gaddabout on 08-12-2001 at 10:40 AM

Actually, Gadd:

Phantom has always been co-ed as well and they had some fine gals back when I marched in the day of Sparticus!

It has always been Cavaliers and Madison Scouts that were all male. There was two all girl Corps in history (that I know of). One was from somewhere in Canada and the other from Gainseville GA.

I agree, however ... Spirit always had the fine ladies and cool guard uniforms.

DJ

Archived