Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pacific versus Premier

HMSDrumKing

Sorry guys, I know you are sick of all my "which set?" questions, but I have (hopefully) my last question is which would you prefer, a 5-piece Pacific LX series kit, versus the 6-piece Premier Guitar Center specialty kit, that Premier makes specialy for Guitar Center, for $100 more. I guess it's basically maple Vs birch. I was set on the Pacific set, but then the guy at Guitar Center tried to sell me on to the next level up Premier kit. I wasn't sure, they were both very nice sounding, I'm not even sure that I prefer one over the other. Thanks

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, HMSDrumKing:

I typically stay nuetral on issues such as this, but I will throw my two cents in here.

I would definately go with the Pacific LX kit.

I hear many horror stories regarding the lack of repair and replacement parts for Premier. They are great drums ... do not get me wrong, but you need to be concerned about long-term service as well.

Remember, if you break a bass drum leg and cannot get a replacement for it, your bass drum may end up sitting on a stack of bricks for support. This does *not* look cool!

Hope this helps.

DJ

In defense of Premier I'll say that I've had my Premier Genista kit coming up on 10 years now and I've never, ever had a single thing go wrong with it. In fact these drums look and sound as beautiful as the day I got them. Of course, because I've never experienced problems, I can't give insight into the issues DJ mentioned. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif Might be a safter bet to go with the Pacific.
Just for the record.

Hey, Sidereal:

You make a good point. This all goes back to taking care of your gear.

Some folks do ... and some folks don't.

For those that do ... drums can last a life-time. If you were Keith Moon, I am sure replacement drums and parts were no problem in his day. All I can speak for is what I hear in the market today.

Thanks,

DJ

It is nice being able to buy into the DW family at a reasonable price, albeit through the back door with Pacific. Seen a lot of guys running around with those kits, and I think I'm a little jealous. They sound great.

if you cant make the decision about maple or birch...go with BOTH! Premier has a kit made with maple and birch called gen-x. i played it and it sounds great. i would have one but its a little out of my price range. just my opinions.

Archived