Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bart, Where's your hair dryer?

felix stein

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL ... you are too funny Felix.

&@*$ no I haven't tried this yet!

Why on earth would I?! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/eek.gif LOL

I don't use crappy drumheads, and I don't play on drums that are out of round or aren't true.

I don't use a hair dryer on my own hair ... so my drums get the same respect. LOL

Seriously though, I can't recommend this technique (as you have already guessed). If anyone chooses to use a hair dryer ... please becareful.

You know, it almost sounds like someone would use a hair dryer if they we not able to seat the drumhead properly on their own. It sounds to me like it's a being used as a short cut to knowing how to tune and seat a drumhead.

------------------

Bart Elliott

http://bartelliott.com

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Well, you all have good points, but let me try to clarify the points (not that I have all the answers!)

The technique that Felix is refering to is not a bad technique ... it is simply a method used to expidite what would eventually happen naturally.

When you put a head on a drum (regardless of the brand you use) there is *NO* seat (the profile the head takes on as it conforms to your individual shell). Over a few days of placing a head on, it will "memorize" this form and its seat will form. This is why ... if you take a head off and then put it back on ... always mark where the head was and place it exactly back in the same place.

By applying heat, this seat memorization will happen instantly. Now, Felix is not talking about melting the head ... for goodness sake!

He is talking about slightly warming the plastic in order for it to soften slightly. Once the head cools, it will instantly memorize the bearing edge and the seat will have formed.

This is not something you have to (or would want to) do every time. Only in cases where you want to speed nature along.

It also helps (see the thread about drum tuning) when you may have a head with a slightly raised area due to the head not being properly weeded out through Quality Control methods.

Hope this clarifies!

DJ

Well, I get my heads to seat properly and I don't have to wait days ... and certainly don't use a hair dryer. When you heat those heads you thin the mylar to the point that it will weaken and possibly break. Warming it enough to be molded to a new shape is VERY HOT for a drumhead. If it's too hot to touch, it's too hot for the head, your drum, etc.

Like I said before ... if the head won't seat, you should return it. We've already had one guy (Frozen) use the hair dryer thinking that it was THE way to put on drumheads. See this thread:

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000298.html

You can also read my comments on this topic; I don't want to have to type this all again! LOL

Bottom Line: Use the hair dryer if you have to. I personally don't recommend it for Mylar heads. If I find a head (which I NEVER have with an Aquarian) that would need the hair dryer "technique" ... I would return the drumhead and NOT use it!

I started using Aquarian drumheads because 40% of the Remo heads I got would fall into the catagory of using the hair dryer. In fact, I bet someone at Remo came up with this "solution" or "tip".

This message has been edited by Bartman on 08-09-2001 at 02:10 AM

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Archived