Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

spray paint

felix stein

DJ,

You might be able to help me with this one.

What is that satiny, textured, sprayed finish on the inside of drums, usually dw I think touts this feature. It is a very clear, matte finish reported to dissipate sound waves? Am I all wet here?

I am asking this cause I want to do the inside of my maple studio with this finish.

Thanks,

Felix

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, Felix:

As far as I know, this is either a matte clear coat of water based lacquer, or a coat of hand rubbed "tung" oil. I know that they use the tung oil on the oil satin finishes on the drum exterior.

At Mapex and Slingerland, we used to use a PPG clear automobile finish in Matte. This was a urethane product.

Some manufacturers claim many different things. I know of a manufacturer that claims a special "zinc" coating ... and although I have seen the empty 55 gallon drums of left over Army surplus paint, I also saw the finish being applied from an ACE hardware aluminum color -- spray paint can!! (SSSHHH!)

If you remember ... in the 1950's and 60s, Ludwig painted the interior of their shells with gloss white paint.

Lacquer usually is best suited for musical instruments. Gibson Guitars has remained steadfast that Nitro-Cellulose lacquer is what gives the guitars that sweet sound. They fought long and hard against the EPA to continue using it. I do not know if they have since converted to Water-based lacquer, or if they still use Nitro.

Hope this helps, or did I further confuse you?

I will be happy to send an e-mail to DW to ask for you!

Let me know.

Thanks,

DJ

Archived