Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

drummer's library - must haves

KYLE_dup2

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow ... what a great question! There are so many great books, videos and CDs out there, it's hard to list them in fear of leaving some out.

In my opinion, every method book, video, CD, etc. should be in the student drummer's library. I pick up everything and anything I can get my hands on. Typically I can glean something useful from each item, even if it may not be on the "Top 10" list. I've got two big filing cabinets full of method books and sheet music; plus 100's of CDs, play-a-long CDs & records, and about several dozen videos.

Rather than list items that focus on a particular style, genre or technique, I will mention a few resources that I feel a drummer could use for the rest of his/her life. I'll post more later on once everyone else has had a chance to respond.

STICK CONTROL by George Stone

DEVELOPING DEXTERITY by Mitchell Peters

PROGRESSIVE STEPS TO SYNCOPATION FOR THE MODERN DRUMMER by Ted Reed

THE NEW BREED by Gary Chester

MODERN READING TEXT IN 4/4 by Louis Bellson

ODD TIME READING TEXT by Louis Bellson

To me, these are a MUST HAVE and will (can) be used over and over again; you never finish these books.

------------------

Bart Elliott

http://bartelliott.com

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Hey, Bart:

I think you are right on, but you forgot a few:

Jim Chapin's - Advanced Techniques for the Modern Drummer

Rick Latham - Advanced Funk Studies (Creating Patterns for the advanced drummer in the styles of today's leading funk drummers)

Peter Magadini - Polyrhythms (The Musician's Guide)

Charles Dowd - A Funky Primer (for the rock drummer)

and for basic reading on snare drum:

Podemski's Standard Snare Drum Method

These are must haves as well!

DJ

Also by Peter Magadini "The Complete Drumset Rudiments", which also includes a CD for those don't read sheet music, or not well.

And Neil's "A Work In Progress", for insight more than technique.

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always have what you've always had.

For play-a-long CDs I highly recommend all of Steve Houghton's ESSENTIAL STYLES for bass and drums. There's a book with a companion CD which has drums mixed on one channel, bass on the other. Volume 1, for example, has 30 different styles to play along to. Funk, Latin, Rock, Shuffles, Jazz ... it's all there with some interesting variations. There's even a medium tempo tune in 7/8 for nice odd meter work out.

Steve has a number of other play-a-long CD/Books; buy them all!!!!

Of course, Dave Weckl's ULTIMATE PLAY-A-LONG FOR DRUMS, Volumes 1 & 2 are nice. Although these are complete compositions, I usually stretch out and try to find new and interesting grooves that will work. Sometimes I just use this stuff as my metronome, which is a lot more fun than playing to a click all the time.

------------------

Bart Elliott

Here's another vote for Steve Houghton's materials. Very fun to play along, and not as complicated as Weckl's stuff.

Other things that have helped me functionally, if not systematically:

- Rick Latham's Advanced Funk Studies

- Dennis Chambers' book

- Jim Chapin's book

- David Garibaldi's book

the book of books is... "The New Breed", by Gary Chester. Ya'll pretty much named all of the others, but don't over look this one. It will kick your tail in every way you need. There is no "easy" part of this book, in my opinion. It teaches independance, concentration, and groove. GET THIS BOOK, if you don't have it. As for Cd's, i have probably a hundred i feel are must haves!!

I'd like to suggest that you check out the Drum Ring International . They have a lot of great method books, videos and CDs (even play-a-long) ... all products of the members of the Drum Ring.

Check it out at http://drumring.org

Some of the Drum Ring members include: Dom Famularo, Chuck Silverman, Dan Wojciechowski, Gary Marshall, Doug Tann, Joe Bergamini, Garey Williams, John Favicchia, Rick Gratton, Paulinho Da Costa, Joe Morris and others!

------------------

Bart Elliott

Spend more money on cds. By listening, you'll always learn more!!

Zappa-Joe's Garage, Miles Davis-Kind of Blue, Bitches Brew, Complete Columbia Recordings of the Quintet(Tony Williams), Sting-Ten Summoners Tales, Meters-Greatest Hits, etc. Let's expand this!!!!

I disagree. One will not learn "more" by listening to CD's. One will learn musicality, other's perceptions of what "great" is and what feel are...BUT, one has to walk before running. If you don't have the tools/technique, the chops will go over one's head.

Now, if one is gifted enough to just hear anything and play it...fine. But then one would be "copying". The two have to be balanced- for me personally I prefer studying patterns/writing them and morphing them to what I think is hip.

I listen to music for enjoyment and I pick out in my head the fills or grooves if I can. I don't like to listen to any particular artist too long for fear of an influence. Then when I approach my music I try to bring a fresh perspectice to the composition through my past studies and interpretations.

Felix, that's a good point. You do need to study technique, reading, coordination, etc. before taking on a lot of actual music. However, I do think that many musicians(especially drummers) fall into a bad spot here. It seems a lot of us get so interested in technique that tech. becomes the only thing practiced and studied. We have all seen the drummer with blazing chops sound ridiculously inapropriate. I feel that listening should be a large part of the "sticks-down" part of practice. Drums are not always the most convenient to practice, so i have found that one can benefit from practicing away from the kit with and without sticks, i.e. listening, reading, etc. I could go on forever on this, but i won't.

You guys both make great points.

I have made this point before:

I have known drummers that were just KILLER players when playing alone. They could play amazing fills and rip around the kit. Play grooves for days ... but, put them with a band and they were lost as cats in an interstate median!

Then you have players that are not so great by themselves. They can hold a groove just fine alone, but they would not consider themselves to be great soloist. Put them with a band and they just plain ROCK!

This plays into what both of you guys say.

DJ

Archived