Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What is this Kit?

road2rock

Hi,

I recently watched a DVD of Led Zeppelin live at Madison Square Garden,

the DVD was called 'The songs remain the same',

but in this Zeppelins Drummer John Bonham has a completely see-through kit.

its obviously made up of some polymer, vinyl, plastic, or resin or something. But how is this possible. I figured that a kit made with Wood gives it its warmth and amazing sound, and I know there are other materials out there that match wood in sound and quality. But this kit sounded great, not boingy

or pongy, just an amazing kit! Different light could be put upon it and the whole kit would change colour!

What is this? What are they made of? and are they still around?

thanks

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Simeon

(Damn Classic rock completely enveloping my life!!!)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a LUDWIG Vistalite series drum kit, which made it's debut in late 1972 and ended in 1979.

Vistalite drum shells are made of acrylic plastic, along the lines of Plexiglas, Lucite, etc. The shells were formed by cutting flat sheets of acrylic into properly sized rectangles, heating the plastic until it was pliable, then reshaping the sheet on a mold to create a cylinder. The seam where two ends came together was bonded with an acrylic resin. Interestingly, the acrylic shells were made by Cadillac Motors plastics division in Michigan.

As for sound characteristics, the plastic drums produce a colder, more stinging tone compared to wood, and are quite a bit louder. This is due to both the internal structure of the plastic and its surface-reflective properties. However, plastic is not as sturdy as wood, and the shells will crack if dropped or improperly drilled. But despite the popular belief, Vistalite drums can be tuned to sound good, and will hold up well if properly cared for.

They were originally offered in six colors: clear, yellow, amber, red, blue and green. With a few exceptions, any drum or drum set Ludwig sold could be ordered in Vistalite. Ludwig's first Vistalite brochure, copywrite 1/73, showed sets in clear and blue, the two colors that sold the most throughout Vistalite's production life. John Bonham was on board early, touring with his famous amber Vistalite kit in 1973.

Multi-color Rainbow kits were introduced in 1975, and kits with lights in them showed up in 1978 ... just in time for the disco era.

The Vistalite kits are still out there; many people collect them. If you'd like to find a set, check on eBay and/or contact some of the vintage drum shops around the country. John Aldridge at Not So Modern Drummer is an excellent person to contact.

------------------

Bart Elliott

http://bartelliott.com

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Well ... Vista-lites are back! Ludwig re-introduced them in January at the Winter NAMM 2001! Just like they used to be made down to the mod badge with the jade and turqouis badge.

Killer if your are into that!

DJ

They're back?! All I can say is WOW!

Smart marketing move for Ludwig since they are in the background when it comes to today's top level kits. As a vintage drum lover, I wish they didn't re-introduce these kits ... you know?

------------------

Bart Elliott

http://bartelliott.com

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Hey Dudes,

thanks a million for the info!

Bartman, how'd you become so well versed in the history, production,

release dates, copywrite dates, etc.?

That was an amazing amount of info for you to recall. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/cool.gif

Thanks guys

Simeon

"Our last drummer spontaneously exploded on stage"

(spinal tap)

LOL Simeon, guys like Bart, know some things about those subjects because the read, research and study the subject. AND, they lived through it! LMAO! Survived it would probably be a better analogy. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

As the old saying goes:

"Hell, I was THERE!"

J.B.

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always have what you've always had.

One of my best friends bought a piss yellow octoplus set of ludwigs back in 1979 and we thought that was that kit was the shit at the time. When I got to play it he had mirrored evans on it.

That kit was a sight to behold under the lights and you can believe I was good and stoned when I got to play it! Whatta time warp.

I was actually partial to the stainless steel ludwig cans that Bonzo played on Coda. That is another story. I could have bought a kit unopened from the early eighties a few years ago when we uncovered one in my boss' music warehouse during a weeklong cleaning session we had at the time.

Oh, Ouch, Felix!!!

You should have definately snatched those up!!!

Worth some bucks today ... and hard to find in good shape used!

I know that there are some pro drummers out there that are currently in a vintage buying frenzie.

Oh, well ... you live and learn.

DJ

Hey, Road2rock:

You asked about Bart's knowledge regarding vistalites.

If Bart is like me ... I still have my 1975 Ludwig catalog with drool marks and all!

Also, Ludwig offered this set in a tivoli version ... this set was lined with lights on the inside of the shells. These were small christmas tree lights and were mounted on the inside of the shell in a swirl fashion. You plugged the set in and voila! ... Tivolii!

Ludwig also offered a Jellybean version ... in this set, each drum was a different color.

The biggest problem with the Vistalites was shell cracking. Typically at the seam where they were formed. The first set I ever played in school was a blue vistalite Octaplus! My band director was kind enough to let me take the set home during summer vacation ... wow ... what a blast that was!!

Stop ... I am making myself misty!

DJ

Archived