Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Studio Design

ModernDrummer

Hi All,

I was asked to dig up whatever information I could on designing and constructing a studio. For home use, not commercial. The "Room within a room" thing, stuff like that.

Just wondering if anyone might have links to sites with articles or information, or if anyone knows of any good books, articles, etc. on the subject.

ThanX A Million in advance for any assistance.

J.B.

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always have what you've always had.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

The room-with-in-a-room thing is only okay if you have a very large

room to start off with, or else you'll end up with a very small room

after you've dropped the ceiling, raised the floor and brought the walls out a few inches with more drywall and foam.

Also EGG CARTONS DO NOT WORK!!! I cannot stress this enough, I found this out when I was Five, going to parents jam sessions..

its hard to find info on the net but the info is there, try other musicians you know, and there are a couple of books out there on this very subject, check out your local book store or online book stores. A very pro home studio (by pro I mean one that doesn't suck), be prepared to pay a lot, say a few thousand bucks.

Recording Artist Magazine is a good place to get some info.

Good luck,

Simeon

I have to say, be determined when you start building a studio...cause they are a bitch. I'm almost done with my 3rd and hopefully final one. They can get so involved and expensive and it's like a total luxury room but a necessity if you are really serious. My first was a jam room and my second was a control room. This one I'm working on now has everything floated/ isolated etc. It's got a wet bar in the CR and shower and potty downstairs. You all are going to be soooooooooo jealous. I'll save the sweet details till it's done and post some pics.

Auralex is a great company but so is Acoustics First. Actually Acoustics First has nicer stuff and a bigger selection of sound control products.

O.K., you all convinced me. I'm not doing it now...

No, just kidding. Of course I'm (the band) is going to do it.

For a bit of general info: We have a free standing building about 200+ feet from any surrounding habitated building. Since it was there when the property was purchased, not sure what it was originally used for. Possibly a garage. Built pretty much like one, sort of a shell on a slab, but no garage door, just two walk-ins. The building itself is about 5 years old and I think it's at least 40' x 40', perhaps somewhat larger. So I think there's sufficient space for a room in a room thing. Standard gabled ceiling, which I figured would work as vaulted ceiling to give more cubic volume. Heating and electric are already present, but we'll need to add air conditioning.

The control room won't be contained within the existing walls, it'll be added on later. LOL, and of course, a bar, 'fridge and toilet facilities. For now though, we'll be able to use it as a rehearsal space and very informal studio.

I already understand some basics: Floating floors, walls, double sealing double doors, oversize doors, isolation, insulation, bass traps for the trihedral areas, staggered joints, keep some portions reflective and live, etc. One question I have is if the walls are to be non-parallel, HOW non-parallel to they need to be? Just a straight taper from one end to the other? Or more of a zig-zag design? Obviously the zig-zag would be a bit more effort, but if it's more efficient, it's not THAT much more effort. A few beers, and it's zig-zagged anyway! LMAO!

And yes, we understand there'll be some $$$ that need to be spent. Before we ever put sound equipment inside. Different doors, apparently a million tubes of caulk (!), one screw for every dollar Bill Gates has (!!), etc. But hey, it's a group project and we gotta do sumpin' with our money. Who wants to fly to Vail, CO. to ski anyway? Afterall, as skiers go, I'm a half-way decent drummer! LMAO!

ThanX A Million everyone for the help. Researching this (a lot more involved than our current sound-deadened room) is certainly giving me an education! And also the observation that there's not as much useful information on building a studio as I had thought. I figured there'd be just dozens of books, pamplets, websites, etc., etc., etc. Like there is for almost any other construction project. What's the big secret? Jeez, you can find out about almost every nut and washer in Gates $50+ million home? Ya can't find a book of studio plans?? I'm mean ultimately it's just 4 parts, isn't it? Separate, mass, isolate, insulate?

J.B.

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always have what you've always had.

I would first frame in a CR with 2 x 6's.

What are your walls like now?

Do you have power out there yet?

40 by 40....very big room. When I lived in LA we played in a huge room that was acoustically treated. I didn't care for it because of the way it sucked up all the reflected sound. It was very strange to play in indeed.

I suggest these books:

Fundamentals of Acoustics

Lawrence Kinsler, Austin Frey

(John Wiley and Sons)

Music, Physics and Engineering

Harry F. Olson

(Dover)

The Acoustical Foundations of Music

John Backus

(WW Norton Publications)

The Musicians Guide to Acoustics

Murray Campbell

(Schirmer Pub.)

On The Sensations of Tone

Hermann Helmholtz

(Dover)

These should get you going.

The guys are going to pop for a sewer, bar and building supplies...yah right!

Hey, Thanks felix. I've jotted down the book titles. Looks like it's off to Barnes & Noble or Borders, LOL.

For the current walls, the exterior is vinyl siding, interior is just studs with I believe R-12 or something like that in between. Just basically an open shell. Yes, there is electric and also a furnace. But we'll be moving that.

For the control room, I was thinking of pretty much detaching that completely from the current shell. Well, as much as would make sense logistically. Pour another slab (with an iso barrier in between) and float and attach it to the current structure. In that way, we could have the new structure have a control room, then a separate room for the furnace / ac, etc., a bathroom and another room something like a living room, with a fridge, couch & chairs, bar, etc.

By doing this, I think it would also be a bit easier to finish the current structure sooner and start utilizing it for rehearsals. We're presuming the whole thing will take us about a year to complete (I'M not hammering anything out in the snow! LMAO!) and have it the way we'd like. That of course also allows some additional time for funds to accumulate.

And LOL, since you noted it, I'm fortunate that I got the easy part. My financial contribution is miniscule, 'cause I'll be doing most of the work. The other guys are ponying up the $$$. And this is what they said they'd like. I'm pretty sure it won't be Bearsville when it's completed (Have you ever seen that joint!!??), but it should be workable, relatively comfortable and have the ability to accomodate a few guests (wives) etc. Probably 10 - 15 people comfortably, we're figuring. That includes the band.

Thanks again for the help. I really appreciate it.

J.B.

Felix - Well, I'd like to get the slab poured in the next month or so, being that it's now August. In that way, the slab would even have time to season a bit for next spring.

But, keep in mind that I'm only one voice here, on this project. And I'm really not providing the funding, just a small portion. And if you've ever worked 'by committee', you know that things don't always flow that smoothly. Someone will drag their feet making a decision on something, then want ya to pony up and, because the project is now behind, want YOU to make up the time difference. Like if you hurry up on your part, it'll make up for the fact they wasted time on theirs. LOL, been through THIS before! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif Like, if I sleep faster, we'll get the time back! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Hey, it took 'em two months to decide to turn this place into a studio! Had to 'think it over', you know. I think it'll turn out O.K., but of course, that was also my need for asking all of you questions and researching (like the book titles you gave, thanks again). http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif I've never built a studio. Houses, garages, cement block commercial building, remodeling, rehab, yes. Years ago, even a make shift studio, replete with egg cartons and all! But not a full blown isolated studio. Similar constuction techniques, different theory and design.

Hey, then there the issue of gettin' rid of all the junk that's already in there! I'm learnin'! LMAO! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

By the way, anyone know where to get silicon caulk in 55,000 containers? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Actually OSI makes an acoustical caulk that I prefer over silicone for sealing framing gaps.

I suppose silicone is ok for barrier sealing, but some people use tape.

Make sure your joints are square and tight and you will use a lot less.

There is a guy here in parma that sells barrier sheet and products way cheaper than auralex and other suppliers. It starts at $1 per sq foot in lower quantities. He is also starting a discount studio warehouse. I would wait because he and I are working on a "better barrier" out of a TPO as opposed to a PVC (stinks and low durometer). That will be on the market soon and it is much easier to work with.

www.http://noise-busters.com

Then you have to learn how to put it up. Tee Hee Hee.

Actually...the more I think about it the more I would just rather pay someone to track/mix my ass. All that time and money? What is your practice time worth, your time with your wife and family and band for that matter playing. I've spent 2 years and 75K on this last building and really, will I ever see it again? Think.

Archived