Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Where can I find the "official" 40 rudiments

Gaddabout

I was corrected in another post that the old 26 basic rudiments have been updated to 40. I've been away from the stuff for awhile, so the new 14 rudiments are a mystery to me. Anyone know where I can find the "official" 40 on the Web?

On a similar note, anyone think the ratamacue is a little random for a list of basic rudiments?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow! forty?!! I thought it was just more like ketchup, mustard, relish, etc., ... you might have to go to one of those specialty stores, like where they spell it "Shoppe" instead of "Shop".

------------------

It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much.

Originally posted by felix stein:

What is the diff between the swiss rud's and the "Top 40" or is there?

I believe there are 70 Swiss Army Rudiments ... some of which were adopted into the "American" Rudiments, thus increasing the Standard 26 Rudiments to the now 40 Standard Rudiments.

Not all of the "new rudiments" ... ones that were not part of the Standard 26 Rudiments, are Swiss Army Rudiments ... but some are.

Drum Corp fans can tell you that "new" drum rudiments are being invented every day ... although I wouldn't call them "rudiments" since by definition the word "rudiments" means "elements, first principles, beginning." A Swiss Army Rudiment called Swiss Triplets (which most of you are probably familar with) can hardly be considered the first principles or beginning of drumming. It's definitely an element of drumming and has been used widely enough to be included in the Standard 40 Rudiments by the Percussive Arts Society. So all these new (and old) sticking combinations are given the term rudiment because we associate the word "rudiment" to be the basic building blocks of drumming.

A bit of history for you is that before the Standard 26 Rudiments, there were only 13 ... called the Thirteen Essential Rudiments.

"In 1933, during the American Legion National Convention at Chicago, a group of drummers from all parts of the country had occasion to meet and discuss present and past methods of drumming and drum instruction. This group consisted of some of the most active and prominent rudimental drummers of the day.

Thirteen of the twenty-six rudiments were selected by this group and termed the thirteen essential rudiments of drumming that all drummers should know. It was decided to adopt the Thirteen Essential Rudiments as a test for membership in the Thirteen Club, organizaed for the promotion of Rudimental Drumming.

This club idea met with such favorable response that it was decided to adopt the name National Association of Rudimental Drummers......

Excerpt from letter written by William F. Ludwig Sr. Former Secratary of N.A.R.D. and published in Americas N.A.R.D. Drum Solos copyright Ludwig Music.

------------------

Bart Elliott

http://bartelliott.com

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Thanks Bartman...I don't care what they say about you...you are alright.

Now why did the ruff's name change to "drag" and will I offend anyone if I call it a ruff.

Oh, by the way boy's and girls...played the first page of "my friend norman" from the pratt solo book last night at about 120 or so...second page maybe tonight. I might even record it for fun if I get any time. That's a sweet rud solo.

Now the orchestral snare solo book I have called "portraits in rhythm"...that is one toughy.

Originally posted by felix stein:

Thanks Bartman...I don't care what they say about you...you are alright.

Now why did the ruff's name change to "drag" and will I offend anyone if I call it a ruff.

Thanks Felix ... I think you are alright too despite the rumors.

As far as the Ruff changing to the name Drag ... here's the scoop.

When it appeared by itself ... they called it a Ruff. When it was part of a more complex rudiment like the Single Dragadiddle it was referenced as a Drag. Doesn't make sense really ... so they got consistent with it and just call it a Drag now. You can still call it a Ruff if you want, but new drummers won't know what you are talking about more than likely. "Ruff" does depict the "sound" of the rudiment ... kind of like "flam". "Drag" is more of what you do to make the sound rather than what it sounds like. So I see why they called it a "Ruff" originally.

Speaking of Portraits In Rhythm; when I was studying at the St. Louis Conservatory, I used to play many of the solos in that book ... but on triangle, tambourine, castanets and crash cymbals. Talk about a trip and a workout! You percussionists out there should try it sometime ... it's fun!

------------------

Bart Elliott

http://bartelliott.com

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Archived