Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another guitar player slips quietly in the back door...

GaJammer

Guitar is my first instrument, Then I got a keyboard when I started recording on the computer. Now I've built a basement studio and have bought a set of drums. Yamaha Beech Customs, Sabian AA cymbals, EV ND868 on kick, SM57 on snare, and 2 Oktava mc012s overhead. OK so far???

My original intention was to just have them for recording my drummer friends. Drop by without hauling in, setting up, etc. Now I'm also having a lot of fun playing with them myself. Friends have shown me a few things, I've seen some of the lessons online and now I'm looking for some advice on learning more and getting better. I've considered taking some lessons locally, but time and logistics are tough. I was wondering if anyone would recommend a good entry level video or cdr. Or if you have any other advice for a new drummer, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

James

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

James,

WELCOME to the world of drumming! LOL, we KNEW we'd get ya, sooner or later! ALL drummers know that guitarists are secretly frustrated drummers!

And welcome to the Music Player forum! Unfortunately, I can't really give any suggestions on beginner videos. But perhaps djarrett, Bartman or Ian can provide some insight. They seem to be extremely knowledgeable.

J.B.

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always have what you've always had.

Hey, James:

I will first recommend The Drum Set Crash Course by Russ Miller and available on Warner Bros. Publications video. Try www.warnerbrospublications.com, but the website is hard to navigate. They are in a site redesign to my understanding. You may try a Google search for Russ Miller.

I will think of more videos later.

Thanks,

DJ

I have a friend in your situation. He worked out a deal with an instructor that he would meet by appointment only ... basically just trying to learn how to read music so he can go through books on his own. He works out problems for a month or two, compiles a list of questions, then goes in for a 90 minute session with the instructor.

My suggestion to any beginning drummer is to play along with your favorite songs. Best songs are simple, straight ahead, in a moderate tempo. There's no better training!

Archived