Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Drum Corps Season!

djarrett

Hey, I am going to Drum Corps International (DCI's) Masters of the Summer Music Games show in Murphreesboro, Tennessee on Friday night.

Any one else seen a Drum Corps show this season? If so, who did you see, and who did you like? How did they place compared to how you liked them?

AND, Did you ever march a Drum Corps?

DJ

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, but I was in the pep band for basketball games. Does that count?

LOL, sorry, but I actually only did a 2 year stint in h.s. and 2 in college for marching band.

I used to smoke cigarettes during the college marching band calestenics...totally pissed off the band director.

Actually I've only seen videos of DCI events but I found them impressive just the same.

Dendy,

I saw the DCI show here in Dallas on 7/19. The ones that I really liked were:

Madison Scouts- Their drum-line is increadible. Jeff Moore is an increadible arranger and teacher. They have a part during a drum break were the snares and tenors mesh toghether and start to pinwheel. The cymbals players start to juggle their cymbals over the players. They are pretty far back this year and IMHO they are getting hosed

Phantom Regiment- Their show this year is called virtuosity. This is one of the most awesome sounding a looking show I have seen from Phantom. A real crowd pleaser. Be sure to check out their marching.

The Cavaliers- Their show Four Corners is cool too. Their drumline is on. The Drum break is just too much to handle. Make sure you watch the tenors when it happens. Toward the end of the show the snares hook either 12" or 13" closed hats onto their snare. AWESOME. At the end yell out "RUN FOREST RUN!" If you see it, you will know what I am talking about.

I marched with Black Gold from Tulsa, OK. back in 1991. I was a member of the PIT playing Vibes, Bells, Chimes, Xylophone, and Percussion. That was the best time of my life. Nobody knows what intense practice is until they are in Drum Corps.

Drumtrav

Drumtrav

Hey, DrumTrav:

Thanks for that update!

Yes, Madison gets hosed every year. Last year I thought there would be a riot when there finals score was announced!

You are right ... for those that are drummers and have not experienced Drum Corps ... do yourself a favor. I think you will be overwhelmed with awe! You will also be thoroughly entertained!

Drum Corps was THE most intense time in my drumming career. The practice routine and the chops built are still called upon!

DJ

Who did you piss-off that made you go to Murphreesboro?

Did the drum corps thing. Hated people yelling in my ear and telling me I was doo-doo. If I'm going have to have someone degrade me, I'm going have them wear leather and make me feel taudry, too.

This message has been edited by Mightydog on 07-26-2001 at 02:59 PM

I can't complain, but sometimes I still do... --Joe Walsh

Drumtrav, thanks for the link! Damn, it seems I just missed the only one here in the next couple of months - last night! That figures LOL... oh well, it appears that it was sold out anyway.

I'll keep checking, thanks again for the link.

--Lee

Hey, Mighydog:

Murphreesboro is growing like you would not believe! Also, The School of Music at MTSU is a tremendous program. Lalo Davila is the Percussion Professor that and he rocks!

Do not always judge a town on your first visit. (however, I would not *live* there ... is that hypocritical? ... but I like to visit once a year for a drum corps show!)

DJ

Well, it happened.

Cavaliers knocked Blue Devils off their undefeated streak at the show in Murphreesboro. All the corps were fantastic. Most impressive were the Boston Crusaders who have made a complete turn-around in the last 4 years.

Cadets show was mind boggling! They always dazzle with all aspects of their show.

Most crowd gasp went to Glassmen who had two Contra bass players collide and fall. One had his Contra Bass bell collapse from the impact ... OUCH!!! (you do not see this happen very often!)

Cavies were just ON that night! Their show is more complicated than Blue Devils, so the take down was inevitable! Do not get me wrong though ... Blue Devils rocked!

Santa Clara had the most musical show of the bunch!

Thanks,

DJ

Archived