Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ron Spagnardi, a few things.........

SoundzapS

I agree that drumming is more than speed, but I also think that speed is an important part of practicing and drumming in general.

I think that before you can achieve the technique of an Art Verdi and a Johnny Rabb you must have mastered the drums in more than that way.

Reading a lot of posts on this subject, someone came on called "Drumminomore" and he told us that he took lessons from Art Verdi, He said that Art had great technique and a solo by him could bring tears to your eyes. Now here is a guy who is somewhere between 54 and 56, I heard it both ways, that has the drums mastered, from what I hear. Do you think it would be anyone's intention to just sit at a pad and try to play fast and practice for hours and years and not have any other interest in drumplaying. No way. I think that this is something you get into when you have nothing else to learn, or use this as another form of practicing in your ritual.

Ron, I doubt that drumming will ever be a sport in itself. I doubt that it will ever lose its value as a musical instrument.

I would like to hear something from Art Verdi.

I would like to hear what value he thinks it has, because he is the guy that did the 1116. Is there a way you can contact him?

Not that I ever intend to dedicate myself to even trying to break his record. You can't tell me that any yahoo can do this.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SoundZaps, i agree with you, Art is one amazing guy. I just can't believe Ron Spagnardi actually made a post here, Man! Now that's bigtime!...Do you think it was really him? If so he sounds like he is trying to agree with Andy d. Kinda of like politicians like to do. You know, I agree with my fellow opponent, BUT! Did you see the ModernDrummer post, now that guy knows his stuff. I have seen him over at Remo Board, one smart cookie. He's right you know!

BB, sorry, I don't think he is right. I go more with Andy. Ron sorta tries not to make enemies, and I can't blame him for that, but he is very much against WFD. I am not saying that I agree with everything, but I do not agree that it doesn't stand for drumming, in a lot of senses of the musical instrument. As far as drumming becoming a sports event, seems almost silly to me. You have got to be one hell of a drummer to put those scores on the drumometer, and I wish that Ron would just say so.

Hey, bb:

There are always creative ways to approach art. If you have never been to a DCI Drum Corps sanctioned show ... do yourself a favor.

Talk about having your mind blown.

Now, in my book although I appreciate the skill necessary to perform syncronized swimming ... Competitive drumming ranks much higher up the ladder as a sport than does syncronized swimming!!!!!

In Scotland, they have the Highland Drumming Festival each year with intense competitions with traditions that go back hundreds (if not thousands) of years!! This is a key heritage with today's drumming!

Let's face it, competitive drumming has always existed. If you don't think that it does, tell me the last time that you did not have to audition (compete) for a drum position in a local band!! I have been auditioning as a player since I was in the fourth grade!!

Time to be honest about competitive drumming!

DJ

djarrett, I agree! I have to find out more on these Highland Drum festivals. I don't think Ron S. is being honest. djarrett, what is Ron's motivation in not seeing this for what it is? A lot of people think it is because it is not his baby? That he can't control it therefore to him "it is out of control". I don't know, but if I am 18 years old and you have been a pro for about that long (i am guessing) and we see it and Andy of Drum sees it and my God! Art Verdi is Ron's age and he gets it! It does not make sense to me. True Ron or anyone doesn't have to like it, that's personal taste, and I am cool with that, but to be so dead set against it to the point i think of trying to stop it, I have to believe there is more than what meets the eye here. What do you think is his motivation? Have you ever seen him target a product or movement so harshly before?

God knows how many hours Joe morello or Louie Bellson and guys like this, spent on a pad playing fast single stroke rolls. Yet they put down guys like Johnny or Art because they put a little competition to it. M.D. has to except the fact that as long as W.F.D. is around, that it's DRUMMING NEWS, that some readers would like to read about whether Ron likes it or not.

I think that it is stupid that MD Mag. doesn't write about it for us that do like it. It is a new thing in drumming, and I think Ron should like it. Won't he feel antiquated when instructors start using it, and they will

Archived