Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Session drumming

Stuthumper

hey guys i'm new here,but ian said to check it out so i thought i might as well,well while i'm here,do u any of u guys have any experience in session drumming,any tips would be welcomed.

at this moment in time i have been playing for 3 years and i have just accepted into college to study music full time,i am working currently on the rudiments kit and snare ones and polyrhymic patterns,i can play a range of styles including jazz,latin,pop,punk,metal,rock,r&b,blues,soul and a few more. if any of u guys could give me any tips on what else to practice and how to get into the industry i would be greatful.

o i can read drum music very well even better than my teacher infact. lol

thanx in advance

stu (thumper) http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Thumper!,

I knew you'd show up!You've heard all my lines so I'll let the other guys answer your post,but I'm glad you decided to join us!I know you'll benefit from it!

Guys I am honored to say that I gave Stu his name "Thumper",he's got alot on the ball so treat him well!

I was telling the guys on the other forum that I wish that I could be their age again to do it all over without all the mistakes and missed chances that I made!

Maybe we can help them with some occasional advice.And I can vouch that these guys have some valid input of their own though and may teach us a thing or two!

ian*

ian*

Hey, Thumper:

Welcome to MusicPlayer.com's Drum Talk!

Please go to the thread "Inquiring Minds Want To Know" and tell us more about you.

Session work can differ depending on where you live in the US or World. In Nashville, it is totally differnt than a studio scene, say ... in Atlanta.

Regarding drumming:

Heep your head up. Have a great attitude, Always, and never think you have learned it all !!

DJ

Thumper,

O.K.I'll start...For me session drumming has been different in every studio that I have ever been in.Sometimes You (the drummer)are required to lay down your track first.Very challenging.I like to have some kind of reference when doing this,maybe the guitarist in another room playing his part unrecorded, that I only hear through my headphones.You want to be very rehearsed when laying down individual tracks!It can be very grueling if you have to spend too long laying down a single track.You have to be very aware of dynamics when recording this way.Without the rest of the band there to feed your groove, you have to tap into an internal spiritual realm to feel the dynamic changes.The cool thing about laying down a track at a time is that you quickly realize the importance of each instrument in the mix!As the layers of the song are added it sort of comes to life!

I have also recorded in a round table atmosphere where all of the musicians are playing at once,but not necessarily in the same room.You get a more live feel recording this way and is a bit more comfortable for me.Studio work is just that WORK!I have been the studio(without sleep)for 30 or more hours.Sometimes when you're on a roll you just can't stop!

I also enjoy being a part of the mastering process!No one else is going to mix your drum track exactly the way you would so you have to be present to put yout 2 cents in!

I know some of these guys are more experienced in the studio than I,so I hope they can give you some more input!

good question!

ian*

ian*

Not a drummer, but here's my input. I'm sure alot of the basics will be covered, so here's one thing that will help make you a badass- consistency in time and dynamics. The time part is obvious. With modern popular music, i.e. backbeat, the kick and snare drive the song and must be consistent in level. I'm not saying every note you play has to be exactly the same volume, but if you listen to the kick and snare in a good mix, you'll notice it's level is quite consistent (word for the day) http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif. This can be achieved a few different ways: compression, riding the fader, or the engineer's favorite - a really good drummer!

Jason

Rather than reprint everything I've written on this topic, let me direct you to my web site.

http://bartelliott.com

Go to the Lesson pages and click on the link "Tips for Drummers and Percussionists". There you'll find several articles I've written on the topic of Session Drumming. Hopefully you will find something useful from them.

------------------

Bart Elliott

http://bartelliott.com

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

You need to hook up with a nice Jewish girl who's dad is in the record business.

Make sure you have some reefer cigs in your pocket in case he's that type. Tell him how all the kids are going crazy for your band.

This might help a little. Maybe more than any other advice you'll ever get.

Archived