Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Chat Live with SIMON PHILLIPS on June 19th -- Register to win $350 in ProMark Gear!

djarrett

Hey, Drum (-don't turn down a freebie or great chat-) Heads!

Watch for and join in on the upcoming live chat with the drum legend, Simon Phillips on June 19th, at 7p.m. Pacific/10 p.m. Eastern.

While you join in on the chat, also register to WIN $350.00 in FREE Pro-Mark Sticks and Accessories!

Check it out at: http://www.musicplayer.com/CDA/Player/Main/1,2228,Features--5161686,00.html

Come back and let us know what you think!

DJ

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, Drum Talkers!

Unfortunately, Simon Phillip's Mom has taken ill in the U.K. and he had to fly there this morning. She is not expected to live through the week.

Due to this, we have had to reschedule Simon for a later chat, but the chat will go on as scheduled with a yet to be announced artist. The contest will also remain valid.

Please support us in this chat.

Please keep Simon and his Mother in your thoughts and prayers.

Sincerely,

Dendy (DJ)

"Tonight's guest, Simon Phillips, was unexpectedly called out of the country

due to a family emergency. Tonight's chat will be rescheduled for a future

date. Simon, along with the entire staff at Pro-Mark and MusicPlayer.com,

regret any inconvenience this has caused. We will announce a make-up date in

the near future."

The Contest is still happening, so please register to win!"

DJ

Looking forward to the Simon Phillips chat and hope there will be a transcript. He's one of my favorite drummers and the high point for me is his 1986 performance on Pete Townshend's Deep End video - "I Put a Spell on You" - with David Gilmour on guitar; the best version of this classic song I've ever heard. His wonderful stage moves/body language enhance his playing so the video is the best way to enjoy this. I've posted some freeze-frames at

http://community.webtv.net/Jem33c/simon/index.html

He's said in interview that when replacing an admired drummer in a band he's careful to study and emulate that drummer's playing in the band's classic tunes as closely as possible, because the music demands it. I think he's one of the few who doesn't let his ego get in the way of the music and is willing to preserve another drummer's work that way -- more power to him for that!

I've always wished he could have replaced my favorite drummer B.J. Wilson in Procol Harum, and around the time they were re-forming (the late 80's) he made a solo album called Protocol -- an anagram for:

to Procol.

Maybe there's still hope that he can play with Procol Harum. They need him badly.

Looking forward to the chat or transcript thereof.

Best, Joan

------------------

Archived