Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rims: What do you prefer - Steel, Die-cast, or Wood?

djarrett

Today, drummers are not limited to the chose of steel hoops as in the past.

Today, there are 2.3 mm steel "super hoops", or you may desire die-cast rims. Then, there is the new popular wood hoops for your toms and snare.

What do you use and why?

DJ

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My main snare is a 14 x 6 Ayotte Drum Smith that came with steel hoops. I put a set of Yamaha Vintage Maple Hoops on it and the difference was remarkable. Rimshot and cross sticking sounds are awesome. The overall sound is warmer but it has a great crack to it when called for and is well suited to many styles of music. It seems to be easier to tune and they also look great. Other drummers that sat in with my band have threatened to steal it! I have not tried wood hoop toms and wonder if the difference would be as dramatic.

I'm new to this forum. It's great. I'm really enjoying it!

Alan

www.4hiddenagenda.com

I think each rim style has something to offer.

I believe that drums which incorporate the standard steel rims are the easiest to tune. The wood and diecast rims take a little more time at first, but once you work with them, it's not bad at all. I've noticed that when I turn one tension rod, it greatly affects the other points along the drumhead, not just where I'm adjusting. This is true with timpani as well. Diecast is much stronger and doesn't "give" like the steel rims.

The one drag about diecast rims is if you bend them, there's no fixing them; but they are hard to bend. Steel rims bend easily, but are more pliable.

------------------

Bart Elliott

http://bartelliott.com

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Archived